Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: starting help?  (Read 664 times)

Bouncying Box

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
starting help?
« on: August 17, 2006, 07:25:00 pm »

i'm terribly sorry; i've searched these fourms over and over for topics and rants of help pages, but i can't seem to find one.  I'm having lots of trouble starting out: i can't quite figure out how to direct my dwarves to start digging into the mountain so i cna start building and etc.  If someone could point me to the thread that i'm probably passing over by accident, i'd be incredibly grateful.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: starting help?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 07:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Bouncying Box:
<STRONG>i'm terribly sorry; i've searched these fourms over and over for topics and rants of help pages, but i can't seem to find one.  I'm having lots of trouble starting out: i can't quite figure out how to direct my dwarves to start digging into the mountain so i cna start building and etc.  If someone could point me to the thread that i'm probably passing over by accident, i'd be incredibly grateful.</STRONG>

press ? ingame to bring up the help menu, it should contain enough to help you get started, but, digging for example you'd do by pressing d (designate?) targeting a starting area, tapping enter, then targeting a finishing area and tapping enter again. it'll make a rectangle (or a straight line if you don't go up/down from your starting point.) for the dwaves to dig out. tap d again, x to remove and target any area's you don't want to dig out.

hope that helps.

Bouncying Box

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 07:34:00 pm »

lol, yes it did help me out quite a bit.

something i forgot to mention was that i'd looked at the help menu once.
of course, that was in adventure mode.
So, it didn't quite have the help for all the menus for the Fortress mode.
thank you very much for your help! lol, i only hope some other foolish new players find this thread so they don't make the same mistake   :)

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 07:38:00 pm »

Glad to be able to help.

Maybe a stickied thread with some tips and the like gathered from various threads would be helpful to people just starting out. People would probably skip over it, though, hehe.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 02:34:00 am »

My sad old forum can't stick a thing.  I'm going to add some links to the top probably though, since I can control the introduction part.  I can add a link to the wiki as well.  It seems like one has been selected, but I'm not sure at this point, or if content is still being added to the other, etc.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!