Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Several suggestions for food and booze  (Read 534 times)

LoneChipmunk

• Bay Watcher
  • Chip Chip
    • View Profile
Several suggestions for food and booze
« on: January 22, 2013, 02:45:17 pm »

1. A new room: the bar. Headed by one useful dwarf (noble?) who could ration booze drank outside of a meal.
2. Preserves. Who wouldn't want masterwork cat jerky and plump helmet preserves?
3. Store food in cabinets. Barrels make sense for alcohol, but storing all the unprepared food in a bin doesn't seem realistic to me. Moving food in a bin does, but it would make more sense to shelf it like one would more normally do.
4. Cafeteria staff: Similar to the bartender, but can ration food.

Rationing food and booze would only be a way to keep dwarves from eating all the food and dying off due to starvation, as well as giving the option to overfed dwarves to give them happy thoughts. Allowing this to make fat(er) dwarves might be interesting, including the posibility of heart disease and other illnesses on down the line.
ZombieChicken on #dwarffortress on irc.freenode.net

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Several suggestions for food and booze
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 05:22:03 pm »

1: Inns are planned. Presumably, mugs and booze will be used there
2. Planned. Probably when realistic food rotting goes is.
3. Actually, food was and is often stored in barrels, especially in ye olden days. Advantage over cabinets is that a barrel is completely sealed, preventing mice and moistyre and such from getting in.
4. Planned, probably. Maybe when sieges start to matter.

I just don't like the names. Probably need to be replaced with something more medievally, like quartermaster, or somesuch.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 05:25:05 pm by 10ebbor10 »

LoneChipmunk

• Bay Watcher
  • Chip Chip
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 05:33:36 pm »

The names would need a change, however for a general suggestion I think something fairly common works just to help illustate the point.

I'd love to see mugs used. I'm still unsure of how a dwarf carries and drinks from an entire barrel by himself without spilling any. Is there a method involving balancing it on the table or do they just pressurize them after brewing?
ZombieChicken on #dwarffortress on irc.freenode.net

CrzyMonkeyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • He strikes from above...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 06:23:01 pm »

What I would really like to see is food being stored Norse-style in huge half-buried barrels of sour whey. I think that would be one of the easiest ways to have mass-preservation of food (meat in particular). You would first need a metric crapton of whey, though.
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” - J.R.R. Tolkien

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 09:12:43 pm »

I'd love to see mugs used. I'm still unsure of how a dwarf carries and drinks from an entire barrel by himself without spilling any. Is there a method involving balancing it on the table or do they just pressurize them after brewing?
A barrel is basically a bug mug without a handle. A dwarf just needs to use two hands and great dexterity. This is, of course, a bit tiring, which is why dwarves only drink about once a week (but drink a significant fraction of a barrel when they do so).
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 10:39:28 pm »

bug mug
I mostly just want dwarves to use mugs so there aren't as many useless artifacts.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.