Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Grisly Megaproject  (Read 9583 times)

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grisly Megaproject
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2012, 10:38:35 am »

Just an update on progress. The fortress wall is nearly done, the military is pretty overpowered, bone supply is at 400 blocks, everything is cluttered, and the tantrums didn't spiral completely out of control. Population is being kept under 100, but about 30 of that is children.

After a trap gauntlet is added to the new wall the obsidian farm will start. While I'm tempted to cast the throne I don't think it'll be worth the effort, so I'm planning to just get a large farm going and build up a pretty huge supply of obsidian blocks while I sit around waiting for sieges.

This is the stage where planning is becoming an issue. The plan is still to create a skeleton seated on a throne, but specifics must be worked out. I'm thinking the throne is just going to be a standard bunch of right angles with a trapezoidal head, I may try carving in features after the basic structure is up. The skeleton construction is still a ways off but I've already started planning it, the tricky parts will be the pelvis and shoulders, I'm going simple on the arms and legs and have a plan for the skull and ribs. If anyone could offer advice on the shoulders/pelvis I'd appreciate it, I'm having troubles with fitting the irregular pelvis curves into something that would work in DF. I'm hoping to find a simplified way of modeling them that still looks decent instead of like a leg man.

Anyhow that's the current update, pics will begin when ground is broken on the throne.
Megadorf™ A giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress

The All Guardsmen Party

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2012, 01:35:58 pm »

FPS slowdown has become a bit of an issue, sieges have increased and the time it takes to clean up one of them is about how long it takes for another to show, so I've spent a good deal of time dealing with that annoyance. The fort now has over 1000 kills. I'm planning to switch to a strategy of hiding all goblin gear because I'm currently collecting it all, which ties p every hauler in the fort. I may try my hand at atom smashing to get rid of the thousands of pieces of clothing and barrels of tallow that have accumulated.

Magma and water have been located, after the current siege is dealt with the pump stacks will start construction.

About half the population of the fortress is children, I'm tempted to kill them all off but I'm not sure how bad the spiral will be if I do that.

The All Guardsmen Party

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2012, 03:14:44 pm »

I don't know what your attitude towards DFHack is, but the autodump feature could help you with hauling and fps issues.

For Children, I've found that slowly and steadily killing them off usually doesn't result in too much of a happiness hit, particularly if you get to them young before they're friends with everyone and have good ant-depression measures in place.

Is it possible to turn them into blocks with the setup you have?
At last, she is done.

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2012, 04:08:19 pm »

I don't think I can turn them into blocks currently, the only job I've ever seen children do is deconstruction. I may save and murder all 50 children in one go and let the fort mature for half an hour and see if it spirals.

I'll look into autodumping, since the piles of shit everywhere are more than a little annoying.

The All Guardsmen Party

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2012, 04:18:19 am »

autodump it all in one place, claim it again, set it for dumping and do autodump destroy-here (or something) or just put it under an atom smasher.

If a child is smashed without anyone seeing the thing, no unhappy thought seems to be generated

too long since news, how are things going?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]