Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Merchants! Go away!  (Read 1101 times)

Frontestro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Merchants! Go away!
« on: July 07, 2012, 03:53:27 pm »

I have 1 caravan of merchants that have been sitting outside my fort for a year now. They don't eat, sleep, move or do anything. Apparently there is no wagon exit on my map even though I have an Opened 4x4 Bridge and there are plenty of ways for them to leave. Do weapon traps stop wagons? Cause that is the only thing I can think of that is preventing them from leaving. I'm not going to attack them cause they are dwarfs but it is getting annoying to have them just sit there.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Merchants! Go away!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 03:58:02 pm »

Yes, weapontraps stop wagons in their tracks.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 04:51:49 pm »

I guess the fact they have sat there for a year means that when "traveling" they don't go insane.  Or does it take longer normally?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Frontestro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 04:56:39 pm »

Years, as plural. They never did anything. Doesn't matter large goblin siege ended the fortress anyways.

Plutocrat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 05:50:51 pm »

Years, as plural. They never did anything. Doesn't matter large goblin siege ended the fortress anyways.

So many questions. So many possibilities. Did the other Dwarf merchants return in the following year? If not, will they resume trade if the caravan is released? Can trade be turned on/off at a whim using this method?

Frontestro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 06:03:10 pm »

Yes they did. The wagons bypassed me though. Elves and other traders also showed up but no wagons would come in and it said no one was at the depot before I deconstructed and rebuilt it. However even after the liason left the first year my fortress attracted no migrants.

RLPudding

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 06:04:19 pm »

once, i had merchants turn on eachother after spending a full season in a room with 5/7 water. i tried a drowning chamber on them, but had not enough water. (it was during the winter and my watersource froze)
so they just had to spend the winter in there, while i built a second depot outside for other merchants. as spring came, the went berserk (even the horses) and started killing themselves. i prevented that by drowning them... :D