Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Constructing forts specific for adventurers  (Read 538 times)

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Constructing forts specific for adventurers
« on: October 12, 2007, 12:05:00 am »

Fun little thing i discovered, apparently every constructed trade depot activates for trade when the traders arrive... Naturally, by combining this with the fact that items dont move around when they're inside a building, i thought "Hey, why not put the artifacts and trade goods my dwarves make in there for my adventurers to find!"

... So i did, and for a time, it was good: (Both are aprox, 7 to 8 MB)
1. http://www.savefile.com/files/1116871
2. http://www.savefile.com/files/1116877

... At least until Toady releases the next version.    :D
Anyways. Pre (1) and Post (2) abandonment versions. "Play now!" is survivable (until you get cheap-shotted) and every dwarf-sized peice of iron equipment is present before you enter. Also, look at the entrance pillars; i couldn't have set it up any better, huh?    :D
Post abandonment, in my play through (before being ripped apart by a ratman or some damn thing) a Troll was the most powerful creature generated.

Pre abandonment is there solely for anyone who wants to do this in order to see what i did, and hopefully expand on it. Also note that if you're running DF with traps turned on, you should probably stop to think about what's in front of the recessed doors, and of course, behind them (in some cases)
... Veryinky will probably think up something interesting in a puzzle-based manner for his, no doubt.    :roll: (lol, chess set!)

As always, be sure to rename the folder to "save" instead of "Adventure!" and likewise, rename your save to something you'll remember ("Original World") so you dont overwrite it. Again, make sure that you're running a UNMODIFIED DF! If you're running a modded one, it may not register the save folder.
FYI, i've used cheats to rewall all the empty feature spots on the map with iron, to prevent useful items from spawning there (so everything stays in the areas where it should)

--{ ATTN: These files will only exist if there is at least one download every 59 days. }--
--{ On the 60th day with no download, they are deleted automatically! }--

Edit - If you're interested in the overview, look at: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-1162-adventureoverview
Spoilers abound, of course.

[ October 12, 2007: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
Re: Constructing forts specific for adventurers
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 03:54:00 am »

Hey, sweet. I was actually hoping for something just like this. Thanks a lot!
火族

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 12:23:00 pm »

Yeah this is cool but old news, Unfortuantely if you drop items as an adventuer then reclaim the fort site they will not be their, kinda sucks.
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 04:51:00 pm »

This is great. Umm.. What is it called and what civilization is it closest to? There's no dwarf play now, as far as I can tell, so I kind of need to start at a city so I have some clothing. And a backpack. I guess I could just download the pre-abandonment version and figure these things out myself, but I have a slow connection and it would be nice if that was included in the first post, anyway. Great place to kill some stuff, though.

Edit: Never mind. Figured out I could just reclaim and get it that way.

It was a long trek, but after an encounter with wolves in which I lost my marksdwarf, and a bear who I killed in a few smacks to the head with my mace, I made it. I entered, the lever already having been pulled by a "start now" adventurer. I enter straight in, and ran into what had to be at least 5 giant rats, a giant mole, and a few antmen, all crammed into a hallway. In short, I had both my arms broken, one of my eyes poked out, and was strangled to death by an antman. By the end, I was taking chunks out with my teeth. That was awesome! And I didn't even get more than 20 tiles in... I especially like the "gate" in front. Nice job.
[ October 13, 2007: Message edited by: Tahin ]

[ October 13, 2007: Message edited by: Tahin ]

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 07:48:00 pm »

The first human civ starts out just to the north-north east of the fort. Start as an adventurer in the civ, leave town and travel to the west tot he edge of the map, head south, the fort is only a couple of spaces 3-4 tiles from the southern town which is only a little south of the capital. Easy place to find. Lots of fun.

The iron man grabs you by the helm from behind.

Brilliant mental image. Crap I'm about to have my head ripped off. That adventurer survived but the first several didn't. Speaking of which, you need more weapons in the trade depot. I ran short on them after the first few adventurers because after you're killed the weapons that you're carrying are scattered. Later adventurers found them along the cave river.
I also learned something, bolts are very dangerous, even without the crossbow, I had an all wrestling adventurer head for the fort and grab two [5] iron bolts since there were no more weapons. Very useful. However they don't grant any experience when used.
I think that was everything. Great map.