Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Updating without Losing Save?  (Read 1862 times)

Urist_McUristson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Updating without Losing Save?
« on: May 21, 2012, 03:05:39 pm »

Is it possible to do this? And if I can how do I do this. Normally I would be fine with starting a new fort with a new update, but I just started my current one yesterday and im sitting on a huge amount of coal, so I would rather not lose it.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
Re: Updating without Losing Save?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 03:12:11 pm »

Extract the new version to a new directory.  Copy the save folder from the old directory, and you're good.  You'll still need to re-edit init.txt and dinit.txt

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 03:44:51 pm »

From what I understand (and please, correct me if I'm wrong on this) the raws haven't changed since the 34.08 update (or was it 34.07), so there shouldn't be any issues with just moving your save directory over to the latest version.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 03:55:25 pm »

From what I understand (and please, correct me if I'm wrong on this) the raws haven't changed since the 34.08 update (or was it 34.07), so there shouldn't be any issues with just moving your save directory over to the latest version.

There has in fact been one raw change, which was in .34.09, to increase the yield of the coal-producing reactions, since the change to stone drop rates from mining had caused coal to drop infrequently while also not producing the increased gains of other materials. See the link for details of what changed.

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 08:02:33 pm »

Seriously, this is the first rational explanation of this in about 1/2 year of DF playing. Thanks!

Except ... do I really want to keep the fort that is half-flooded due to a failed water feature next to the meeting hall?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 10:56:57 pm »

... do I really want to keep the fort that is half-flooded due to a failed water feature next to the meeting hall?

Screw pumps. Lots and lots of screw pumps.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 11:04:03 pm »

None of the changes from 34.08 -> 34.10 involve anything resembling an addition or major change in the computing environment of the game.  Updating should be as easy as dropping the new version on top of the old, and then copying the Raw folder into the Save\Region1\Raw folder.

Should be, note that.  34.09-34.10 is deffinitely save compatible, but going from 34.07-34.10 I'm not so sure of.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 08:07:23 pm »

If you are using vanilla Dwarf Fortress then the game will automatically upgrade a fortress made in v0.34.02+ to v0.34.10 with no problems, adding in the new eyelid structures, wheelbarrows, and minecarts, though none of the other raw changes will come in, just the bugfixes.  If you were using a tileset with v0.35.02-v0.35.04 you may have to add the "body_rcp_eyelids.txt" file to your raws to handle the eyelid change in v0.34.05.

As far as overwriting the raws for an existing world generated in an older version of Dwarf Fortress with the v0.34.10 ones, I'm not sure how far back you can do that safely, though I'd suspect that only v0.34.07 through v0.34.09 could be done safely due to some of the creature changes in v0.34.07.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

keyreper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 11:20:20 pm »

i wonder if my fortress will update properly or crash.... kinda interested what happens if it gets corrupted items :D
The anwser to life, the universe, and everything as we know it is -MAGMA-