Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bloodline village  (Read 2302 times)

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bloodline village
« on: September 10, 2012, 10:21:46 pm »

So i havent been on this forum in million years but i had a fun idea for a dwarf fortress ive never tried until now that may have already been suggested:

at the start of a fort, kill/entomb/exile all but 2 dwarfs: a male and a female whom are already friends, or preferably lovers / married.

have them build a cottage together and survive together, and produce a village made entirely from one bloodline with the monarch and patriarch founders.

Only problem is it would take ages for this to develop...
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
  • Awesome God of Mass Destruction.
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodline village
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 10:23:14 pm »

sounds amazing till the first gobbo siege comes around.
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 10:31:50 pm »

Not too hard to just disable invaders until you feel ready to deal with them. If you don't trade/produce too much wealth, they won't invade anyway.

The biggest problem is just that it takes so f-ing long for children to grow up. On top of that, the first two migrant waves are hardcoded, so to maintain your two-person fort you'll have to 'deal' with them somehow (magma).

Finally, if you gen a work where dwarves have died out, you'll end up with just the starting 7 + 2 migrant waves and then no more. In this case you'll actually be repopulating the world! Probably more interesting once we get to succession etc....

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 10:33:28 pm »

sounds amazing till the first gobbo siege comes around.

They'd slaughter the migrants outside, then leave without affecting the happy couple or their kids. Generation 3 will be  an issue. A better idea would be to keep three breeding pairs of the Starting 7, that way you get more generations before inbreeding rears its deformed head. Assuming that it would kick in in this version.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:hollow eyes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 11:02:28 pm »

I recomend getting any thread/clay/glass/shell/ore/gem or any moodable material. Because if one of the breeding pair enters a mood(Pray so it dont be a Macabre mood) you're in big trouble.

Also.
This is sure to lead to a Master Tantrum Spiral. If ANYONE die...EVERYONE will feel their loss...

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 11:09:16 pm »

I dunno. Considering you have years and years and years before you even make it to a population of 10, you can assign and slaughter pets very slowly till they all become hardened. I mean, your gonna have the time.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 01:21:17 am »

Alternatively, edit the [CHILD] tag so that they become useful members of society faster.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 02:08:53 am »

Actually with the recent changes to historical migrants it would be highly doable, only you'd have to do it with someone other than your starting 7, just wait for the two immigrant waves, see which family of siblings/cousins/etc predominates (odds are one will be) and then murder the rest.

Ensuing visitors will likely contain more family members.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 05:11:03 am »

Note that invaders(even mere thiefs) and moods are not enabled until you get at least 21 dwarfs. You will need to reach that, then recede.

The best bet would be put the cap to 21, wait until that, then eliminate everybody except one family.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 06:42:37 am »

I recomend getting any thread/clay/glass/shell/ore/gem or any moodable material. Because if one of the breeding pair enters a mood(Pray so it dont be a Macabre mood) you're in big trouble.

Also.
This is sure to lead to a Master Tantrum Spiral. If ANYONE die...EVERYONE will feel their loss...
Do you mean fell?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 07:17:46 am »

Make it so they mature at 6, presumably due to lots of quality teaching time given. "Mommy, I can take down dish wawll all by myshelf!"
My wooden badge was delicious.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 10:41:56 am »

So i havent been on this forum in million years but i had a fun idea for a dwarf fortress ive never tried until now that may have already been suggested:

at the start of a fort, kill/entomb/exile all but 2 dwarfs: a male and a female whom are already friends, or preferably lovers / married.

have them build a cottage together and survive together, and produce a village made entirely from one bloodline with the monarch and patriarch founders.

Only problem is it would take ages for this to develop...
I did this with humans. Half of them were eaten by badgers so I only had one married couple and migrants set to 0. They cranked out dozens of babies which matured in three years and formed a small town. Then half of them were eaten by badgers.

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:hollow eyes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 07:10:13 pm »

I meant the one that the dwarf needs to kill another beign to make the artifact...if its the Fell mood then Fell mood it is.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 08:42:42 pm »

You would need to start with more then just 2 dwarves since dwarves won't marry their brother, sister, mother, or father. As such you need at least 2 pairs of dwarves when you start out, but other then this it seems like a pretty cool idea. Also even though it would take a long time for the kids to grow up, since you would only have 10 dwarves or so your FPS could be extremely high, shortening the IRL time greatly.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 08:46:26 pm »

Especially if you increased your FPS cap.
Sig