Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New to creating creatures, can I create custom joints?  (Read 711 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New to creating creatures, can I create custom joints?
« on: May 30, 2012, 03:55:33 pm »

I'm attempting to make my first race. I'm just sort of learning as I go, and I'm still not sure if my terminology is correct, so please correct me if I say something wrong. :)

I'm using the humanoid_simple category for the body (for specific reasons). With this, there is no upper/lower distinctions to the arms and legs, which means I cannot use the predefined humanoid_joints category because it specifies upper/lower limb parts. I could not find a "simple_joints" category to use instead.

Could I create my own category, and only specify right/left arms? How would I name them (is there a list somewhere, explaining the naming scheme like LLA, LUA, etc)?

For reference, here is what humanoid_joints looks like in the raws:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Basically, I'd like limbs like this: Left shoulder (joint), left arm, left wrist (joint), left hand. Ditto for the right arm.

Also, does this simple body limit the dexterity of the creature? Will they still be functional as a race, and be able to work/fight/etc? I couldn't find any info about it on the wiki.

Thanks!
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: New to creating creatures, can I create custom joints?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 05:00:50 pm »

1. The simple body is basically a Teddy Bear body type (just stubby little things called limbs)

2. You could fit all those joints into each arm/leg but once someone grabs ahold they will probally bend all the joints to pulp.

3. Creature will not be affected by having simple limbs

making custom body parts
---Defining the New Body instance---
[BODY:<custom id>] --- this must be all in CAPs and all spaces must be a "_"

---Defining a Body Part in the new Instance---
[BP:<custom bodypart TOKEN/ID>:<singular name>:Plural/STP(STP just adds a "s" to the singular)] --- this defines a "body part" in the "Instance"

---Connecting Body Parts to each other---
[CON/CONTYPE/CON_CAT:<BP TOKEN/TYPE/CATEGORY>] --- what it connects to

---Most used TYPEs---
[UPPERBODY] --- core of the creature, doesn't need to connect to anything. But it can (ARMOR item types are worn here)
[LOWERBODY]
[HEAD]
[LIMB]
[JOINT]
[GRASP]
[STANCE]

---CATEGORIES---
[CATEGORY:<whatever you want>] ---- This is probally what you really wanted to see

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 05:25:39 pm »

A complete list of all of the various types and tokens that can be used when defining new body parts can be found on the wiki here.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 07:36:32 pm »

Thanks for the tips... are there any pre-existing "teddy bear" body creatures that I can study?
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 07:54:34 pm »

Iron man, Gabbro Man, Blood Man, Plump Helmet men, Mud man. There are a few more too I think.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 08:07:42 pm »

Thank you! :]

I think I got it. I created a new body file and put this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then in the creature file I used [BODY:HUMANOID_SIMPLE:SIMPLE_JOINTS:(etc)]. Tested in arena, and it lives! I made it fight a 4-armed ape. It seems able to punch and kick with its stumpy limbs, which is good. The ape threw it about by its simple legs for a while, before biting and latching on to its throat and thrashing about until it bled to death. I would've liked to have seen some joint injuries, but since the errorlog doesn't mention any problems trying to create them, I'm assuming that they're working properly.

This is fun. I feel like some sort of mad geneticist. :3
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 10:06:43 pm by Moogie »