Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Diablo 3: Discuss the stupid  (Read 5233 times)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 3: Discuss the stupid
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2012, 04:43:06 pm »

This game truely saddens me deeply. I started 2012 excited for both Skyrim and D3, and look what we got delivered instead... Generic, dull games and, in the case of Diablo, mismanaged DRM policies and a soulless atmosphere for the sake of milking the cow even further. What's wrong with video game companies now? Did we reach point where they stopped trying to be creative?
Yes, they simply want MOOAR money and thats all, whatever they do to the IP or *soul* of a game is totally irrevelant to them, exept if its somebody else using the said *soul*. Now they will give a fuck because they can sue them to make money out of it.... Its all about money, good thing indie devloper started to raise and they now have access to more fund thanks to kickstarters and other platform. Fuck AAA and long live indie!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2012, 04:49:21 pm »

There's still plenty of creative/good games coming out. Though I don't think games need to be creative to be good. Big studios do make decent games... It's just that good games in the past don't mean good games forever.

The problem is when people don't realise this, and the studios/publishers figure out that whatever they make will rake in the cash. Thats how you end up with ME3, D3, etc.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2012, 06:19:24 pm »

So remember how D3 has always-online DRM because that way there'd be no low-down dirty hackers ruining the game for everyone?

Oh...

Oh......

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2012, 06:22:38 pm »

I agree that always on DRM sucks, but the hacking you are referring to is generic online game account hacking. The always on DRM was to prevent hacking of the files and disruption of the auction house. I don't like it for either concept, but let's not confuse the two issues.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2012, 06:27:50 pm »

Actually, right now no one knows the extent of it. People with authenticators have been hacked. There's theories out there, like the Diablo 3 servers being subjected to SQL injection attack. Which pretty much points to why not having any part of your own account stored locally is freaking ridiculous. For the guy who has yet to go to the auction house, make a friend or play co-op, logging on to find his shit gone because of nothing they can control pretty much defines what was wrong with their decision.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 06:44:15 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2012, 06:30:25 pm »

So I hear that, since Diablo 3's release, Torchlight 2 pre-orders have been skyrocketing.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2012, 06:30:51 pm »

The DRM has been defended in many places because "D2 was full of hackers and this will stop it!" Which is what I was referring to, whatever reason Blizzard has for putting in always-online DRM is completly inconsequential.

If Blizzard wants you to take your entire game experience onto their servers, they should at least be able to provide you with a decent level of security over your account. Doubly so if they want this RMT auction house thing to work. The issue isn't why the DRM is there, it's that it is there and it makes the entire experience less than if it wasn't.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2012, 06:43:11 pm »

So remember how D3 has always-online DRM because that way there'd be no low-down dirty hackers ruining the game for everyone?

Oh...

Oh......

Oh the irony.

Everybody knew that the always-on DRM was a bad idea. They tried to justify it, via cash shop, via promises of enhanced security. Now, what?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2012, 06:44:59 pm »

Y'know, I reckon nobody playing just single player would have been hacked if it weren't for this always online thing. Because, y'know, they'd just be on their own computer.

A while ago I made a thread about this sort of thing. I meant originally to update every time something legitimately pissed me off, because somebody always says "DRM doesn't affect your experience if you aren't a pirate!" Which is crap. I haven't actually been updating it, but this is sure as hell as good time to reinforce the Compendium of Crap for future citation.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2012, 06:47:50 pm »

Everybody knew that the always-on DRM was a bad idea. They tried to justify it, via cash shop, via promises of enhanced security. Now, what?

Accept that all Blizzard games now inherit all of WoW's problems, or quit buying Blizzard games. People with WoW authenticators were getting hacked 2 years ago to my knowledge, so it seems like very little has changed in that regard.

Diablo is the one and only title I've ever been deeply invested in (I got invested in WoW but not because I loved the game or the franchise.) So unless Titan and their other project turn out to be the most amazing games ever, I won't be buying any more games anyways.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 2 [3]