Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Automatically expendable  (Read 4047 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: Automatically expendable
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 12:59:14 am »

I don't have expendable dwarves. I treat the colony as the last spaceship of their species.

So what do you do when there's a hull breach, the atmosphere is venting, and the radiation level is too high for anybody attempting repairs to survive the experience?

I press the button… I mean pull the lever to turn the graviton beams  on ;) No, seriously I usually have heavy artillery, which means cavein traps on supports, surrounding area. I build these underground too, before digging too deep. My dwarves take their enemies with them. Some casualties may be unavoidable, but they're never in vain.
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 01:03:59 am »

What makes you decide if a dorf is automatically expendable? For me, it's anyone not of the magnificent starting seven.

That's pretty much the same for me. Although I always expect to lose a fisherdwarf; I just hope the Expedition Leader isn't one of them.

Jalen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 01:18:25 am »

None of my dwarves are expendable. NONE

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 01:25:12 am »

None of my dwarves are expendable. NONE
So you wouldn't send one off to certain peril in order to save the fort?

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 08:09:49 pm »

I have teams of 3 for everything and limit my population to 100-150. This has the benefit of always having a spare in case something goes horrily wrong.

It comes with the downside of always having too many "useful" dwarfs and too little "voluntaries" for things like training the doctor´s skills or sacrificing to the vampire.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 08:14:09 pm »

It seems everyone hates cheesemakers and fishcleaners, those two are the backbone of most of my forts. Cheese is alot of money!
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 08:20:55 pm »

For kobolds maybe....

It's mainly because one fish cleaner and one cheese maker can fuel those industries even at a low level, unless there is a rediculous demand for cheese and fish.

CodexDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • [SARCASTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 08:59:43 pm »

I find that I can get more cheese from the caravans than what I'm bothered to produce within the fort.

I try to keep everyone alive, but if something goes wrong, the cheese makers, beekepers trappers, etc are the first to fall.
Finely minced dwarven wine... what?

fakechuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2012, 09:03:01 pm »

Any dwarf migrant who does not exceed in skill some existing dedicated dwarf of the same profession and who is not either a mason, miner, or metalworker of some sort gets put into the military or is made into an engraver/hauler. Until I have a soap/lye maker, dedicated medical staff, and farm workers (thresher, weaver, clothesmaker mostly), I dump 'expendables' into those jobs. Anyone who has a more skilled replacement show up gets dumped into the conscript category.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2012, 09:09:41 pm »

Cats, any grazer, all pets, peasants, nobles, pump operators, beekeepers, potash makers, kobolds. Oops, sorry Corai.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 [2]