Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Metals in DF 2012  (Read 1112 times)

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
Metals in DF 2012
« on: May 21, 2012, 01:54:44 pm »

So, how do the new metal distributions work in the most recent version? I've started to realize that even with the proper layers that getting a particular metal you want, such as iron or zinc, isn't guaranteed. If they are present, will they be as abundant as they are in 40d or will they be as scarce as you would expect given they don't show up as often?

Basically, what I'm sort of asking is, are the metals all contained in mineral rich sites scattered over the world map, or are they evenly distributed?
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Metals in DF 2012
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 06:00:02 pm »

It's probably like it was in the later DF2010 versions, starting...0.31.25?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 06:31:44 pm »

Yeah, I stopped playing some time while 40d was still out. I haven't a clue how they're distributed.
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 07:13:35 pm »

If you want to get a mineral distribution like that in DF2010, set the mineral occurrence number at around 100 in the advanced settings. This will cause you to get a good number of minerals.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 07:15:08 pm »

I just set it to frequent and then cheat with prospect all :p

My embark conditions are bituminous or lignite + iron + whatever else I can get.
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 09:59:52 pm »

From my small experience in 40d, not only are minerals more common (unless you set it to scarce or such) but because you can have several dozen z-levels, you have way more as well.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 12:19:59 am »

Well, I decided to prospect my current 4x4 site and I think the results are a little odd.
Tetrahedrite: 22821
Sphalerite: 20891
Sweet, Delicious Candy: 2228
Bistmuthinite: 1892

As you can see, I have no iron or tin to make bronze, just lots of zinc and copper (brass will probably become the fort's symbol). I don't remember setting the metals to "scarce" during world gen, actually I don't remember setting anything at all, so this would make sense if "scarce" is the default setting. But it seems strange that I would have an entire mountain of zinc to myself and not one bit of tin...

e: Alright, I'm looking at the world gen screen and I know what setting I used, I chose "sparse" since it was in the middle between "very rare" and "everywhere." Could this be the culprit?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 12:22:08 am by Dorfimedes »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 12:24:50 am »

No, having three or fewer different metal ores isn't particularly low.