Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New modding guide added to DFwiki  (Read 2182 times)

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
Re: New modding guide added to DFwiki
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2007, 04:27:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Teldin:
<STRONG>

Oh, actually that's an excellent idea. I can actually pop out a program like that in visual basic pretty quickly. Maybe I'll do that over the weekend, if anyone's interested in it. I'd have to rewrite it for the new version more than likely, though, or at least tweak it.</STRONG>

Teldin, I think it'd be excellent if you did that. I think I would mod creatures more if the process was simpler, streamlined, and easier to understand. At the moment, I need to know what I want before I go looking for it. With such a program, I could learn about what there is available and experiment far more easily.

Suggestions:
Although I pictured a button style system, maybe it could be more like a checkbox type system, and that it would arrange all the boxes/tags you've ticked at the top or start of the list so you could quickly and easily see what the creature currently is, and so that the options you've selected are removed from those you haven't (creating almost separate included/excluded tag pools). Or maybe even a left column and right column interface where you could transfer the tags you want across? Each tag could also have a mouse-over help box with perhaps the description from the wiki.

These were just some of my thoughts. I don't have the skills to design such a thing right now, and I also don't have the experience in modding to make it properly useful, but whatever you can make would be awesome I'm sure!
 :)

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2007, 11:57:00 am »

Started working on it today, here's a somewhat earlier screenshot:

You can hold the mouse over any of the boxes, checkboxes, or option buttons and it will give a brief tooltext explantion of what it does. (so holding the mouse over the 'Controllable Civ?' button for example explains what making them a controllable civ actually does).

Everything with an 'Add Rem' set of buttons are list boxes that hold multiple entries; they store what the civ can create and wear via crafting. Clicking once on the white boxes brings up the list of them and double clicking on one switches to the appropriate Items entry.

Still a lot of work to do yet though, I plan on having a fairly robust error checking procedure so you know if what you do is going to crash it or not.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2007, 12:38:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>
Lots of awsome stuff
</STRONG>

Wow this looks good.  Thank you!

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2007, 02:16:00 pm »

Looks really great!  :D
I see some things that might be missing, but as you say it's not finished yet, so I wait whit criticism until I can test it on my <<awesome>>.
(don't worry, I'll try to remember posting it on the forum  :D

Edit: smilies and some missing words and parenthesis.

[ October 13, 2007: Message edited by: Armok ]

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2007, 02:17:00 pm »

One suggestion: Show what tag you're adding to the file. That way the user can learn which tags do what, making it easier to read actual raws. (Just a note in the tooltip would work.) Looks great!
"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2007, 02:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Armok:
<STRONG>I see some things that might be missing</STRONG>

I added a few more things since I made that screenshot (such as the digger item used by species, trap components, subterranean clothes, evil pets, etc). If I missed something else feel free to mention them, though I think I got most of the civ entries.

Codewise I also broke the available entity tokens into subgroups saved in its own text file, so if Toady adds something like a [TOTALLY_COOL] civ token you can add it yourself to the modder without me having to make a whole new version unless it doesn't fit into an available subgroup.

Anyway, it should be fairly complete when it's done. I also like the full token name suggestion in the tooltexts, I'll add that. If anyone else has suggestions go ahead and suggest 'em!

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2007, 11:20:00 pm »

Teldin, that's pretty dreamy right there!

You know your stuff.   :D

Mu.

• Bay Watcher
  • Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2007, 11:27:00 pm »

Any more progress with the app, Teldin?  Loved the guide.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2007, 11:46:00 pm »

Actually I've been doing some work on it, but then decided to put it on hiatus until the new version is done. If I guess correctly it'll change some things so I don't want to put too much work only to have to tear it out again.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2007, 01:33:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>Actually I've been doing some work on it, but then decided to put it on hiatus until the new version is done. If I guess correctly it'll change some things so I don't want to put too much work only to have to tear it out again.</STRONG>

I seem to remember reading something about various things being moved from being hard-coded to the raws, so you're probably right.

Pages: 1 [2]