Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Random mechanical questions  (Read 1912 times)

JTTCOTE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Random mechanical questions
« on: May 20, 2012, 05:32:11 am »

1. Can I detect dwarven children or babies using a pressure plate?
2. If I burrow a dwarf over a lever, is he guaranteed to be the one who pulls the lever (As opposed to falling asleep and having another dwarf pull it)?
3. What happens to levers in water, specifically 7/7 water?
4. Will water furthest from the fill source always be the lowest?

May need to know more in future. Any help is appreciated.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Random mechanical questions
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 05:46:46 am »

1: yes on children, babies usually don't go without mother.
2: No, go to the lever (P)rofile and set it so only targetdwarf can pull the lever.
3: nothing, but they won't be pulled, afaik
4: don't know, but I've seen a lot of 4/7 with a few 3/7 and the 3/7s sort of moved around prety randomly, sometimes comming very close to source.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

JTTCOTE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 05:47:41 am »

1. What weight do I have to set the minimum plate weight to to make children trigger it?
edit:
2. Can I build an atom smasher over a pressure plate (so it crushes it and anything on it)
3. How many steps does it take for a child to move 1 tile
4. Can dwarves see through lever-closed doors?
5. Is there an unhappiness affect to a child going missing, and how much (check with dwarf therapist maybe)
6. What is the unhappiness number for finding a dead child (Like the effect on the happiness number, viewable in therapist)
7. What is the unhappiness number for watching a child die
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 05:58:28 am by JTTCOTE »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 06:03:48 am »

2: no, but the trigger has a slight delay, so you can set it before the atomsmasher
4: Don't think so. The can't see through ordinary locked doors afaik ((q) over the door)
5: I think only if a body is found there is an unhappyness hit and I'm pretty sure it differs depending on how many brothers and sisters are still alive, only son etc.

6 and 7: go ahead and find out..

Small hint: in your df folder, folder 'data', then 'init', in d_init you can not only set a pop cap, but also a child cap, stopping new births at a point chosen by you, making all this effort very dwarven, since it's a waste of time
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

JTTCOTE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 06:45:55 am »

Yes its a waste of time, but its fun.

8. How does water sweeping items and bodies away work? Please be descriptive.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 06:55:09 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=109729.0

described on the bottom of the first page in above thread

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 08:16:02 am »

Why does it seem like I'm the only one who spares children? Granted, I kill a lot of useless migrants that come to my fort...but never children!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 09:47:09 am »

Pressure plates have a minimum weight setting.  All babies and many children are below this weight, so they can't ever be detected by a pressure plate.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 11:11:25 am »

Maybe you could set it lower, or use it to divert non-children to...

OH GOD WHAT AM I DOING?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 11:51:48 am »

Pressure plates have a minimum weight setting.  All babies and many children are below this weight, so they can't ever be detected by a pressure plate.

looking at the raws, dwarfs are full grown at age 6,

[BODY_SIZE:0:0:3000]
   [BODY_SIZE:1:168:15000]
   [BODY_SIZE:6:0:60000]

and babies are bigger than cats I think, so children should trigger pressure plates set to low enough weight

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 01:44:29 pm »

looking at the raws, dwarfs are full grown at age 6,

[BODY_SIZE:6:0:60000]

Those aren't the default raws.  In the default raws, dwarves are full-grown at age 12:

Code: [Select]
[BODY_SIZE:12:0:60000]

Furthermore, pressure plates cannot be set to trigger with a minimum weight below 10000, so they will never detect babies or some children.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 05:11:08 pm »

3. How many steps does it take for a child to move 1 tile
The average dwarf moves 1 tile every 9-11 steps depending on their agility. Extremely agile dwarves or extremely slow ones may exceed those numbers though.
8. How does water sweeping items and bodies away work? Please be descriptive.
Water is horrible at pushing things, period. First the only time that something will be actually pushed is if the water in it is moving, but less then 7/7. This is because water "teleports" through 7/7 tiles to the other end, so it can't push anything. Also water will only push things a few tiles at a time, so if you are filling a corridor with water, for example, then it might pick up things at the very front of the wave and push them a little, but if the wave passes them they won't be pushed anymore. Water is better about pushing creatures then items, and items have this strange tendency to vanish into "limbo" when they are pushed by water. This means that they disappear for all intents and purposes, but if a dwarf goes to the tile where they vanished they can pull the item out of limbo and bring it back to use it again. All-in-all water is great for pushing creatures off of the edge of thin walkways, but it is horrible at pushing things long distances or down a corridor.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.