Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wheel Barrow and Cart Carrying Capacity.  (Read 1737 times)

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Wheel Barrow and Cart Carrying Capacity.
« on: May 18, 2012, 01:31:31 pm »

Hello, fellow midgets.
Today I would like to address an issue I've seen stumbling around the forums.
A lot of people have complained about their dwarves doing something stupid like using a wheelbarrow to pick up a single pair of trousers.
So, I propose this:
Weight limits based on item size.
For instance, Wheelbarrows can currently carry only one item, whilst Mine Carts carry five.
In my suggestion, more items could be carried if they all weigh less.
So instead of one sock in a wheel barrow along with one stone, how about SIX socks in a wheel barrow, but only one stone.
Mine Carts as well could carry around 30 socks, or the usual five stones.

Ideas?
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel Barrow and Cart Carrying Capacity.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 02:23:59 pm »

Minecarts have a capacity of something like 500000, which is, I think, 50 times that of a barrel.

I think the problem is that "size" is just not implemented yet, since most objects do have a size, but they aren't respected for the purposes of how many things can fit inside a container.  A chair, for example, has a size of something like 30000, while an earring has a size of something closer to 3.  They all take up the same size so far as container capacity goes right now, however.

It's something that Toady is meaning to implement, but hasn't gotten around to just yet.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel Barrow and Cart Carrying Capacity.
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 03:59:41 pm »

I see.
Well, thanks for telling me that.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.