Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How will this PC I'm building handle DF?  (Read 4221 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: How will this PC I'm building handle DF?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 06:25:48 pm »

There are much more important aspects to your RAM than just what amount of RAM you have.  RAM latency is a core component of DF playspeed, since DF will need to access amounts of memory that simply can't be held in Cache (although getting as large a cache size as possible will help). 

Fortunately, if you haven't actually bought your parts yet, RAM is very cheap to upgrade to much faster kinds of RAM.

Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Kyre

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 08:41:39 pm »

Anyone else hope that the next major release will support multithreading?

xeniorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 09:03:02 pm »

I really hope it doesn't, since that would mean the next major release would be a few years from now or so ... With nothing added to the game except better FPS scaling with modern processors and probably a million bugs. Rewriting the whole code so it can use parallel processing is a daunting task.

We can actually be quite sure it won't be so, since Toady always states his short and medium-term plans in the dev log.

Would be nice if DF could just magically begin supporting multithreading, though. :D
This Wine tastes like schist!
Shut your mouth and admire some gneiss furniture.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 07:30:34 am »

Uh, no, he didn't. DF is 32-bit and is therefore restricted to 2GB of ram. There are various 3rd-party tools that will mark the DF executable as "large address aware" which allows it to use up to 4GB of ram when run on a 64-bit windows, but no more than that.

Uh... are you aware that even 32bit system can access more than 4GB RAM due to PAE? Windows 7 support PAE, and I think it was patched into XP too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

PAE is the CPU feature that allows a 32-bit OS to use more than 4GB of physical address space (among other features). It doesn't do anything for applications.
It's supported by Windows XP onwards, however it's not used for >4GB ram access due to needing the support of every driver you have installed, and it wasn't a requirement for drivers of the desktop editions of Windows, so most of them don't support it (it is for the server versions, so 32-bit windows server DOES use PAE for accessing extra ram). Instead XP onwards enable PAE to be able to no-execute protect ram.

Applications can be coded to use AWE (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366527(v=vs.85).aspx) which is independent of PAE, but it requires some special privileges set up for the user, so in practice no-one uses it. DF definitely doesn't use it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 07:44:30 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 12:47:47 pm »

get the thingy that lets you shut down processors and overclock others, because that will help with DF.
... And buy a PHAT cooling system or enjoy your computer for the next 6 months, because that's what it will last until it starts smelling funny.

DF will NEVER support multithreading. Those who've tried changing a mono-thread program into multi will know what I mean. It's not a nightmare, it's worse (and the one I personally had to modify was about 1/10 of what DF is).

Let's hope processors will keep getting bigger and better caches, instruction sets and segmentation methods; since getting the clock speed up individually is out of the question (since you'd need to put your CPU in the fridge to prevent it from melting, basically).
This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 02:57:10 pm »

Anyone else hope that the next major release will support multithreading?

It's less "hope" and more "dream", considering just how difficult multithreading actually is.

Plus, I'm 90% sure that Toady has no experience in multi-threaded programming, which means that... well, it's not any time soon :P
Pages: 1 [2]