Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Simple Modding Idea That Will Likely Wreak Havoc Without Being Outrageous  (Read 2451 times)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod

So a lot of modding ideas sound something like: "And then flying kittens rain down from the sky and shoot lava from their eyes and webs from their mouth while adamantite bombards you from their bum." Or something along those lines. However I think that's a little to much for me and that's why I typically make my own mods. However, this idea came to me not to long ago and I don't have the time to pursue it personally. The idea is disease. Not simply a syndrome caused by a helmet snake gone wild, but glorified devastating plague. The disease could start on infected rats, or roaches, anything of that caliber really. Then it could spread and infect dwarves. The only issue is finding a way for it to spread from dwarf to dwarf in a manner that is similar to disease in real life. If someone could help me formulate an interaction that would serve as a disease template i would be greatly appreciative. Once a template is formed, diseases ranging from the common cold to the bubonic plague can be introduced to DF.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 08:05:07 pm by Spiderking50 »
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Two mods already work with that concept:

Deons Apocalypse Mod, with both positive and negative effects of virii and genetic engineering.

My Masterwork DF, using 8 plagues and 3 positive blessings from the temple.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod

Well that's disappointing. I hate how whenever someone comes up with an idea, ten other people have already done it, twice. Oh well then.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

There are still tons of things that have never been done. And both disease-bearing mods are rather new. The idea has been posted by Q, and then found it's way into these two mods. But only 2-3 weeks ago, so they are new.  I have been experimenting with tons of stuff no other mod has done, but you need a lot of science and testing for it. For example the "coat weapons with poisons"-idea that was proposed here. No mod has it, yet.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

Look at the CLEANING interaction and CATS, then make the infection interaction that is givin to dwarves a USAGE HINT of GREETING, that way every dwarf they walk by they infect

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

I don't think anyone's made the plague-bearing rats yet. Maybe a rare (one in every 20-100?) caste of rats that has a neat bite thingy (like bees, but without the dying) to inject the initial plague-causing stuff. It's not very realistic, but meh.

Also make big (cavy- to cat-sized?) rats that have bites with more...!!interesting!! syndromes, like ones that kill while making the dwarf stronger and crazy, or ones that turn them into ratmen, or which make them accidentally raise any corpses they come near. All contagious to varying degrees, of course. Heh, Fun.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

I hate to say it...

I am currently thinking about plague rats. Have vermin that bites and the bite gives the same interaction that I have in my migrants that start a plague. If you dont kill the rats, one might bite a dwarf and start a plague. But I will only implement this after I made a better defense system against plagues. Again, the wards seem to be too complicated for the majority to use.

That was before he posted... I have the raws here, but havent released anything yet, because of the needed counter-measurements.

Well that's disappointing. I hate how whenever someone comes up with an idea, ten other people have already done it, twice. Oh well then.

That doesn't mean they have done it the best way possible ;)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Certainly not. I have no idea about diseases, I just made up 8 fantasy plagues on the spot. If someone would make a "real" disease mod, with different real life diseases, that would be something completely different. Dogs giving worms, and chickens giving bird flu... ha, that would be fun to mod in. :)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

Certainly not. I have no idea about diseases, I just made up 8 fantasy plagues on the spot. If someone would make a "real" disease mod, with different real life diseases, that would be something completely different. Dogs giving worms, and chickens giving bird flu... ha, that would be fun to mod in. :)
Definatly, Considering that would add to harder farming. No more juse "Imma gonna spam chickens and live off eggs" or power breed a creature to butcher, It would take care to have to use medience to vacinate animals.

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Definatly, Considering that would add to harder farming. No more juse "Imma gonna spam chickens and live off eggs" or power breed a creature to butcher, It would take care to have to use medience to vacinate animals.

Exactly, it would encurouge diversification. ex; get your food from fish, farms, and birds then if all the birds get sick you still have  a farm and fish. Same if the fish get sick, or your farms get infected.