Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Foul Murk -- Things that evil biome clouds can do?  (Read 4818 times)

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Foul Murk -- Things that evil biome clouds can do?
« on: May 23, 2012, 02:14:50 pm »

I'm trying to diagnose exactly what it is that the clouds floating off of the section of evil biome near my current fort are actually doing.

They've missed my not-yet-hermetically-sealed fort for the most part so far, but I wonder what exactly I'm facing. I've confirmed that they knock creatures unconscious for an indeterminate amount of time. I suspect that they act as building destroyers, and I've noticed that at least two or three creatures affected by them are missing some of their teeth.

Is tearing down builds something that evil gas can do? Are giant clouds of gingivitis a thing that is possible?
Quote from: Pickled Tink
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Foul Murk -- Things that evil biome clouds can do?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 02:29:27 pm »

Anything is possible with evil clouds. The only way to really find out what they do is to send four or five dwarves out to be contaminated then keep them in isolation until the disease has left them or until they all die, whichever comes first. Also, why do you suspect that it destroys buildings? Are you sure that is wasn't an animal?

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 02:32:49 pm »

Evil clouds-those slowly shifting, miasma-looking blobs, usually enthrall any creature unlucky enough to touch it. Enthralling makes affected creatures hostile to all others, and greatly increases the thrall's strength and toughness. It's said that not even the Circus compares to a horde of enthralled livestock...
I usually think of Armok as the pure essence of FUCK YOU!

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 02:35:14 pm »

Anything is possible with evil clouds. The only way to really find out what they do is to send four or five dwarves out to be contaminated then keep them in isolation until the disease has left them or until they all die, whichever comes first. Also, why do you suspect that it destroys buildings? Are you sure that is wasn't an animal?

Well, I found a trade depot and a butchery that I hadn't x-ed had been demolished outside the front after a series of 2 or 3 passed by. I hadn't seen any building destroyers on the map, so my chief suspect was the foul murk.
Quote from: Pickled Tink
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 02:36:51 pm »

Are giant clouds of gingivitis a thing that is possible?

I seriously LOL'd about this.  Face melting Magma, and Tooth melting Miasma.  It's all out there.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 04:02:44 pm »

My clouds are kinda boring.
I got "EVIL MIST" which seems to "just" kills things instantly.
soooo ho-hum :P
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 04:42:18 pm »

Evil clouds-those slowly shifting, miasma-looking blobs, usually enthrall any creature unlucky enough to touch it. Enthralling makes affected creatures hostile to all others, and greatly increases the thrall's strength and toughness. It's said that not even the Circus compares to a horde of enthralled livestock...
Nah, they're just the most reported. It probably just causes bruising, skin melting or unconsciousness.

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 06:10:27 pm »

Or pus. I'm still traumatized by the mist that made people shoot pus from all exposed areas, leading to some extremely horrific combats.
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 07:06:53 pm »

Or pus. I'm still traumatized by the mist that made people shoot pus from all exposed areas, leading to some extremely horrific combats.

I had that problem too with some evil rain. Pus everywhere. I wanted to make a decontamination shower for everyone but it failed to wash them effectively.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 08:38:43 am »

The worst I've heard of (didn't experience it personally) instantly killed someones entire embark the moment they unpaused from the embark screen. Don't think you can really get worse than that.
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 08:52:29 am »

Building-destroying, unconsciousness-inducing clouds?  Sounds like plain old hail.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Iceflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 08:54:08 am »

The worst I've heard of (didn't experience it personally) instantly killed someones entire embark the moment they unpaused from the embark screen. Don't think you can really get worse than that.

What about insanely overpowered rain-made elves, that kill the entire embark by throwing flowers at them in the moment you unpause the game?

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 10:23:15 am »

Yeah, all it takes is on unfortunately-timed evil cloud and it's curtains for the starting seven.
Or a swarm of motherfucking giant sparrow corpses.

The rains, at least, "merely" tend to cause bruises or blisters and possibly unconsciousness / nausea / fever.

The old WWII maxim "digging for victory" has never been more true than on evil biomes. (In conjunction with the paranoid schizophrenia / zombie apocalypse maxim "wall off the outside world and hope it goes away".)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 10:25:20 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

ydaraishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 01:02:50 pm »

It definitely can get worse than that.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 02:37:56 pm »

I had that problem too with some evil rain. Pus everywhere. I wanted to make a decontamination shower for everyone but it failed to wash them effectively.
Never be clean, NEVER BE CLEAN!