Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Generating the desired world & senerio  (Read 901 times)

warthurton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • warthurton's Blog
Generating the desired world & senerio
« on: May 13, 2012, 12:44:53 pm »

I want or play a particular scenario that I have in mind.

I love creating a steel industry, but I've had problems getting a location with the flux and iron ore I need.  Is there a way to tweak world generation to increase the prevalence of starting points with the stones want.

Also as soon as possible I'd like to close up my fortress completely except a 3 square passage with traps & bridge to only allow in traders and migrants. Will I be able to livestock be able to graze on any "artificial" indoor pasture?  Can I trick them by opening to the sky and then closing it up?  Could I use a sort of "skylight" system?

I can trade for wood so I'll be able to create wood bins until I get iron production going.

Is there anything I'm not thing of that I need outdoors for?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: Generating the desired world & senerio
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 01:40:50 pm »

Livestock will happily graze on cave moss and other underground ground-covers.  That will start growing on any dirt or muddy rock as soon as you have breached a cavern.  You don't even need to leave the breach open.

You can open some soil to the sky and roof it over, or simply roof over a walled pasture, to get aboveground ground-covers.  Roofing over is more masonary work than sealing a breach in a cavern, but less digging.

The only thing I can think of that requires the outdoors is windmills.  You can either rig up some kind of waterwheels or use Dwarf-power instead.

Edit: If you breach a cavern and leave a large open area of a soil layer unused, you will be able to grow your own wood.  You could do the same with muddy rock, but that is a lot more work because you have to clear it of stones.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 01:48:59 pm by slink »
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Generating the desired world & senerio
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 03:08:31 pm »

YUp. Often the first thing I do after establishing a bolthole is I dig down to a cavern, then wall it off again. Then I dig huge indoor areas for farms, trees, and grazing. Makes the game a -lot- easier
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!