Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where to begin modding  (Read 496 times)

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where to begin modding
« on: May 13, 2012, 02:58:57 pm »

I have a nice idea for a mod but i need to learn how to do it. Will anyone point me in the direction of means to learn?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Where to begin modding
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 03:06:24 pm »

The Modding Guide on the wiki is a great place to start that explains most of the basics. Then after that I've found the next best place is the raws themselves, especially creature_standard.txt. Toady has scattered all sorts of nice little notes in the raws that help to explain what various things do and how to use them, and they can be very helpful. Then for reference material you can check out the Modding Category on the wiki, which contains lists of all of the various tokens and tools that you will need. I also highly suggest that you download and try the Raw Explorer, as it contains definitions for most tokens already built into it that can cut down on your reference time, and can also make getting the arguments for various tokens right much easier. You can also look at some of other people's mods around here to see how they did various things. And finally if you ever have a question don't feel afraid to ask! Just create a thread and ask away, or if it's just a little thing you can ask over in the Modding Questions Thread and we are usually fairly prompt about responding.

And best of luck to you! It's always a good day when somebody new tries their hand at modding!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 03:08:09 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Where to begin modding
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 06:11:38 pm »

I could only repeat what has been said, read the wiki, look at other mods solutions, ask the community. They are the best and will help with about anything. :)

Best of luck :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::