Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Tower  (Read 1544 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Tower
« on: June 16, 2012, 11:51:49 pm »

The Tower, the focus of the world, and home to the worlds people, no one knows what lies outside The Tower, but those within fear those who come from outside the walls of The Tower. If someone reaches the top of The Tower it is said that the reason they climbed The Tower shall be granted to them, shall it be power, revenge, or money it is said that those that reach that far are granted such things. Those who enter the Tower must face tests to advance even further up it, these tests work to filter out the unworthy that seek to have their desires granted at the top of the Tower. Many thousands have been chosen to take the tests The Tower has set in place, and many thousands have failed, or died in their attempts to achieve their desires. You are one of those chosen by the Guardian of The Tower to take these tests, and test your worth to have your desires granted at the top of The Tower.

A blinding light fills your vision, and a towering door appears before you within the dark dampness of a cave, carved into the door is a crude image of a spire jutting up into the sky surrounded by clouds, and nearly touching the sun above. You blink as the doors begin to open, and more light floods out into the cave obscuring your vision and blinding you as your eyes struggle to adapt to the sudden sheer change in light. As your eyes finally adapt to the light you look forward to find a tall being standing in front of you, while he looks vaguely human his rabbit like ears, and angular face with a single black slit mark him as inhumane. He slowly walks towards you spinning a staff in front of him, after he is about two feet from you he stops, and begins to speak, his voice laced with a venom like malice, "I am Headon, Guardian of the lowest floor of the Tower, welcome Child.  I have but two questions to ask you before you start your journey up the Tower, What is your name Child? And what is it you desire to gain from reaching the Top?" As the words leave his mouth you notice the slit open slightly and a row of sharp teeth show as if the thing is grinning.

GM Note

Well here we go, another try to make a forum game, but this time as I seem to have trouble with anything mechanic based I shall be doing this as a fully story driven suggestion game as my last one went on for quite awhile, and I loved doing it. This game will be based in the Tower of God universe (I recommend reading it, its a korean webcomic and each chapter is being translated to english. Overall amazing read, good art IMO, and great story) so it will be following pretty much the same rules outlined in the comic, and those given by the creator of the comic. Of course it won't follow, or be connected to the story of the comic itself though you may meet many of the characters given in the comic, for example Headon. I will also periodically use some art from the comic, or fan made to give you ideas of what people or things look like (If I can find them that is).

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Tower
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 11:58:02 pm »

To complement "Headon", our name shall be "Applydirectlytotheforehead"... Or, Deotydda.

We desire Смерть и слава! of course.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 01:23:30 am »

:P I see what you did there, which reminds me his name isn't pronounced like it looks I think its pronounced like He-don or something along those lines not sure though :\ very confusing names. Also you desire Death, and Glory? Sadly you don't get Death, and Glory together in The Tower :(.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 10:47:50 am »

You take a look at Headon's grin, and nervously reply, "My ... my name is Deotydda, and my only desire is glory and death in battle." After hearing your words Headon chuckles for a few seconds before letting another 'grin' spread across his face, "Child you'll find death in abundance within The Tower, but none who die fighting in The Tower are remembered, glory does not go hand and hand with death in the confines of The Tower. But I can tell you this Child the Glory you desire awaits you at the Top, the answer is always at the Top. The Tower is a dangerous place, and it has taken the lives of many thousands of souls, is you resolve strong enough to brave the Tower, and climb Child?" You get a hint of doubt in his word, and a desperate feeling fills your mind, this could be your chance for Glory, for the power to become someone worthy of such glory. You hastily push yourself to your feet, and nearly fall over in your attempt to steady yourself as you talk, "I want to climb the Tower no matter what, if it costs me my life I want to reach the Top, and attain the Glory I desire so much." He laughs in response to your words, and nods his head in your direction.

You turn around to see what it is he wants you to and find a metal rail that comes up to about your waist, down below it is a sort of arena with a gate on the far side, and a large circle in the middle with an insignia of sorts, three eyes scrawled in blood red paint. Somehow you know this to be the symbol of Zahard, but where you know that from is unclear, and your mind continues to pull black slates where memories should be. You hear Headon walk up beside you, and look over to find the slit now ajar with a yellow eye staring down at you as he speaks, "To attain what you wish for you must pass the tests given to you on each floors of the Tower until you reach the top, this arena is the stage for your test. All you have to do to pass is stand in the middle of that metal plate down there, and you will proceed to the next floor. Are you ready Child?" In answer you nod, and take your eyes of the plate to look around, to your right you find a staircase leading down to the arena, and when you go to ask Headon if you should go down them he nods. Taking a deep breath you head down the stairs, and come out into a small room with a weapon rack on the far side and a wooden door on the left.

Walking over to the weapon rack you find a quite a few, some you have no clue what they are, but you manage to identify several of them. The first of which is a sword, its blade is curved and thin giving as little surface area as possible without making it to weak for actual fighting, and its hilt is wrapped in a plain dark cloth, overall the blade feels light and fit for fast paced fighting. The second weapon you recognize is a spear, the entire thing seems to be made from some form of red colored material, its spear head is razor sharp and about the size of your fist giving it good balance but making it to heavy to reliably throw. The third, and last weapon you manga to identify is a pair of daggers, there blades seem to be made from the same red material as the spear and weighted to balance them out more, all together they seem to be very light and fit more for stealthy fast strikes or throwing then a full on fight. Which one should you take?

Spoiler: Deotydda (click to show/hide)

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 12:38:19 pm »

Take the Daggers, and them make a stealthy entrance into the next room