Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tobacco?  (Read 1407 times)

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tobacco?
« on: May 10, 2012, 01:58:34 pm »

Through raws tampering, is it feasible to produce a plant that can be milled or processed into tobacco products, and consumed in such a fashion that it doesn't fulfill any basic eating or drinking needs, but grants happy thoughts?

I haven't tinkered with raws enough to know if this is even possible, but if it is, I'd definitely give it a whack. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tobacco?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 02:07:05 pm »

to my knowledge, anything to do with thoughts is not accessible through the raws, except for modifying items that cause existing thoughts.  You could modify some type of consumable that would impart an interaction, such as temporary/permanent modifiers to attributes or personality (I think).  However, unless its classified as food or drink, your dwarves won't do it on their own.

I'm thinking you could take a custom workshop, assign it to a dwarf, and define a job that would involve the item you would create.  If you made it so all dwarves had a preference for the item, you could then get the dwarf to go to the workshop, do the job, and get a 'satisfied at work lately' thought.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 02:38:33 pm »

You can take IT-000 idea of cigars, which are edible. Dwarf eats it, gets afflicted with the syndrome. Syndrome causes... coughing and a 1% chance for necrosis of heart and lungs ? I for one would be a very unhappy dwarf if someone forces me to smoke tobacco ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 03:16:49 pm »

to my knowledge, anything to do with thoughts is not accessible through the raws, except for modifying items that cause existing thoughts.  You could modify some type of consumable that would impart an interaction, such as temporary/permanent modifiers to attributes or personality (I think).  However, unless its classified as food or drink, your dwarves won't do it on their own.
Actually, this sort of opens up the possibility for alchemy and the creation of foods solely for stat boosting (which I'm sure is thoroughly explored in other mods).

I'm thinking you could take a custom workshop, assign it to a dwarf, and define a job that would involve the item you would create.  If you made it so all dwarves had a preference for the item, you could then get the dwarf to go to the workshop, do the job, and get a 'satisfied at work lately' thought.
Sounds like a huka bar.

You can take IT-000 idea of cigars, which are edible. Dwarf eats it, gets afflicted with the syndrome. Syndrome causes... coughing and a 1% chance for necrosis of heart and lungs ? I for one would be a very unhappy dwarf if someone forces me to smoke tobacco ;)
IT-000?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 03:22:13 pm »

I'd be even more unhappy if someone forced me to EAT tobacco.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 03:29:08 pm »

Cigar Mod: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4274

It-000 is the creator of the Corrosion Zombie Total Conversion.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 03:41:32 pm »

Thanks!  I'll check it out.