Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Max Payne Thread  (Read 962 times)

Samio

• Bay Watcher
  • ˙uǝʌǝ ʇ,uop ı sıɥʇ sı ʇɐɥʍ
    • View Profile
The Max Payne Thread
« on: May 11, 2012, 08:37:05 pm »

Search turned up nothing.
I figure that as the third is coming out I might as well start up a thread concerning the whole series.
I really loved the first. I just enjoyed the graphic noir novel style, the grim nature of the storyline, the easiness to learn yet difficulty to master. And of course bullet time. You see, I was six when I first got the game (yes I did the censored version first to keep my mom happy) and it just has a special spot in my heart.
Which brings me to the second, which I didn't like as much. Why? It just didn't have the original's simplicity. Sure, the gameplay was fundamentally the same, but the plot was just overbearing compared to the first.
Which brings me to the third. I'm tentatively excited, because I know this could end up being another Duke Nukem Forever, though by the amount of money they've been pouring into it, I wouldn't say that's too likely. You never know though. Thank goodness for gamefly to help me out.

So finally, what's your take Bay12-ians? What do you think of my opinions, and what do you think might happen to the third?

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
Re: The Max Payne Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 10:24:57 pm »

Loved the first two games. Will definitely get the third when it comes out.

Plus Max Payne 2 introduced me to Poets of the Fall, the one band who have never released a song I didn't fall in love with.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 11:11:10 pm »

Will get it when it's on sale. (Probably right before GTA 5 comes out around October.) I loved the first, but the 2nd felt kinda meh by comparison. I never finished it. But the new one looks pretty sweet. Just don't really feel like shelling out $60 for it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 03:12:47 am »

It is on sale.
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-MP3/max-payne-3

Incase they change it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 06:52:42 am »

Loved the first two games, action was good and I really liked the neo-noir style and aesthetics. Played the second one so much that I ended up finishing the game in just under four hours without dying on the hardest difficulty. Good times.

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 08:31:03 pm »

I'm glad someone else likes Max Payne.I've played MP2 through at least 3 times, and Max Payne 1 through at least twice. Even though MP3 is going to be a short game like the rest, I will be preordering it from Steam (when I get paid tomorrow). I believe ordering the game at full price will ensure that the developers get the largest % of my money, and Rockstar hasn't ever disappointed me. I purchased GTA:SA at full price, LA Noire, Red Dead Redemption, GTA 4... and regretted none of the purchases.

It really seems like they are going all out for this one to be a commercial success - putting in multiplayer, lots of advertising, trendy setting (Really, favelas in Brazil? Thanks Call of Duty Modern Warfare Max Payne Edition). I hope that the story is as edge-of-the seat interesting as MP2.

I just hope for one more appearance by Mona Sax (other than multiplayer mode, obviously). Kind of sad Remedy isn't writing this one but the original writer seems to have cast it in a favorable light, even though not required to do so.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 08:41:50 pm by Mullet Master »

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 10:33:27 pm »

It is on sale.
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-MP3/max-payne-3

Incase they change it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Typical. Its 100 bucks in Australia.

I loved the first two but $100 is a hell of a lot of money for a game. Looks like I will be waiting years for it to come down to a non-ludicrous price.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!