Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Child Has Gone Stark Raving Mad!  (Read 2293 times)

Dwarven Child Has Gone Stark Raving Mad!
« on: May 09, 2012, 11:46:15 pm »

This is fairly odd to me, since according to Dwarf Therapist, all of my dwarves are content or happy.

I am not even sure they can go crazy just from having a fowl mood; but children can't work or, AFAIK, get moods.

It's bad enough that with my child/baby cap at 0 I am still having babies born every few minutes (I have 200+ dwarves; over 150 of which are fucking babies). Now I have to worry about them going insane and trying to murder each other.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Child Has Gone Stark Raving Mad!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 12:19:08 am »

Children can get strange moods. It happens fairly often, but they can only get crafting moods since they couldn't have other skills.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 12:46:00 am »

Have you been making new clothes for your dwarves?

I just had three children tamtrum and one get melancholy from being embarased about not being clothed. Since they went from baby to child without having clothing its understandable.

Now Im currently trying to make enough clothing for every member of my fort. The time it takes to make it all is enough to prevent too many bad thpughts from worn clothing.
Though producing all that thread and cloth from plants takes so much time I just make it put of wool from my farm animals and silk from the caves.
It helps to have two legendary clothiers.

EDIT:
(I have 200+ dwarves; over 150 of which are fucking babies)
Thats insane. Time to enable working and make kamikaze child death squads. Thatīll show the zerging little bastards not to spawn on your watch.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 01:16:22 am by Friendstrange »

Twangykid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 12:50:45 am »

I think (but I'm not sure, I don't use the cap) that setting the cap to 0 removes the cap, like with FPS limit and such.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 01:49:58 am »

good point, try setting it at 1

it would still take a year for it to show it works
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 02:13:59 pm »

Have you been making new clothes for your dwarves?

I just had three children tamtrum and one get melancholy from being embarased about not being clothed. Since they went from baby to child without having clothing its understandable.

Now Im currently trying to make enough clothing for every member of my fort. The time it takes to make it all is enough to prevent too many bad thpughts from worn clothing.
Though producing all that thread and cloth from plants takes so much time I just make it put of wool from my farm animals and silk from the caves.
It helps to have two legendary clothiers.

EDIT:
(I have 200+ dwarves; over 150 of which are fucking babies)
Thats insane. Time to enable working and make kamikaze child death squads. Thatīll show the zerging little bastards not to spawn on your watch.

That could possibly be it. I have a loom and a clothier; but I never make use of them.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 02:30:39 pm »

Uh oh. You haven't been making clothes? This stark raver is just the tip of the iceberg you're about to plow into. Prioritize making clothes over everything else. Put up four more clothing shops and turn on clothing making labor for everyone. You need, at the very least, new shoes, pants, and a shirt for every dwarf in your fortress and you will need to make (or buy, or collect from goblins) new sets every single year.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 02:43:33 pm »

There's an alestorm a brewin', and you're right in the middle of it.

Seriously, if clothing is the reason then your fort is going to fall apart once everyone realises their clothes rotted off. Ghost has it right with what you will need,gonna want some people full time on each thing.
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30