Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Herding dwarves during building deconstruction  (Read 1269 times)

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Herding dwarves during building deconstruction
« on: May 10, 2012, 05:24:46 pm »

I have a corner like this:

Code: [Select]
+O+
+O+
+X++
+OOO
The +s and the X are floors; O is a wall. I'm trying to deconstruct X, but I want my dwarves to do it from the right. I also don't want to construct anything to the left of X. I've tried suspending a construction of a wall on the left, but that doesn't stop them. Is there any way to do it that you guys can think of?
=Uncool-

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Herding dwarves during building deconstruction
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 05:37:29 pm »

Macro-solution: Make a burrow that excludes the wrong side, tell civilians to stay in that burrow, finish wall and remove burrow. 

Micro-solution: wait until the mason arrives to the wall and start construction (check to make sure wall is partially constructed). Pause, suspend the construction. Mason will run back to drink, pause restart the construction mason will turn around and finish the construction from the easiest vantage point to whereever s/he stands (ideally the right side). 
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 05:39:40 pm »

Macro-solution: Make a burrow that excludes the wrong side, tell civilians to stay in that burrow, finish wall and remove burrow.
Hrm. This might work.

ETA: Tried it, and it didn't work.

Micro-solution: wait until the mason arrives to the wall and start construction (check to make sure wall is partially constructed). Pause, suspend the construction. Mason will run back to drink, pause restart the construction mason will turn around and finish the construction from the easiest vantage point to whereever s/he stands (ideally the right side).
This one doesn't; deconstruction is an all-or-nothing thing.
=Uncool-
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 05:46:20 pm by uncool »

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 05:48:28 pm »

Hrm. This might work.

ETA: Tried it, and it didn't work.
Yeah, it didn't work for wall construction near a waterfall, either.  They insisted on building the wall from their preferred side.  Burrowing just generated cancellations.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 05:56:47 pm »

Burrows restrict what jobs a dwarf will take, not where they go. If the burrow includes the tile you wish deconstructed, they will take the job and then completely ignore the burrow in deciding where to stand to complete the job.

However, burrows used as civilian alerts do restrict where dwarfs go. This might work. If not, you may have to re-engineer things. For instance, you could remove the floor, then build a hatch or grate where it was so your dwarf can get back across. Link it to a lever, pull the lever and the hatch or grate will open, leaving an open space where you want it. You could also, possibly, remove the floor, then build a wall on the z-level underneath where it was giving your miner a path back across, then remove the wall. Or you could figure out another way to get your stuck dwarf back where you want him, possibly using stairs or channels. Lots of options.

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 06:03:29 pm »

Burrows restrict what jobs a dwarf will take, not where they go. If the burrow includes the tile you wish deconstructed, they will take the job and then completely ignore the burrow in deciding where to stand to complete the job.

However, burrows used as civilian alerts do restrict where dwarfs go. This might work. If not, you may have to re-engineer things. For instance, you could remove the floor, then build a hatch or grate where it was so your dwarf can get back across. Link it to a lever, pull the lever and the hatch or grate will open, leaving an open space where you want it. You could also, possibly, remove the floor, then build a wall on the z-level underneath where it was giving your miner a path back across, then remove the wall. Or you could figure out another way to get your stuck dwarf back where you want him, possibly using stairs or channels. Lots of options.
Yeah, I was planning on building a wall below the place where the floor was, removing the floor, and then deconstructing the wall; I was just trying to figure out if there was a better way.
=Uncool-

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 06:06:09 pm »

Build a statue or other impassible object on the tile to the left of the tile you're trying to deconstruct?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

micha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 06:22:20 pm »

Build a statue or other impassible object on the tile to the left of the tile you're trying to deconstruct?

when a door won't do: this.

MrLobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 07:07:00 pm »

Build a cubicle around the tile's right side, and trap a dwarf in there.

Maybe you can chain destructions. I.e. build a wall to the right of X, deconstruct it. The instant it's done deconstructing, select the target wall for deconstructing and maybe that dwarf will step over 1 square.  Yeah, sounds iffy.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 07:14:45 pm »

I have this problom too. Mostly when I try to do a controlled cave-in for aquifiers. When I order for the final floor to be channeled, the miner always feels the need to stand right on the chute, resulting sometimes in fatal injuries, and since he falls in the water, I can't get his stuff. Sometimes he/she is able to crawl out, but it is still annoying.
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.