Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dwarven showertech - the compact minimister - just 2 pumps (and 1 windmill)  (Read 2032 times)

Abysium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

a lot has been writen on the subject of misters, but the most compact design i have so far seen was the '4 pumps in a square' solution

therefore i present to you the compact 2 pump minimister
a revolution in misting evolution
the mini mister
operated by the same 1 flying 7/7 stack of water principal as the other bulkier misters
its a good and easy to build solution for your basic misting needs
provides mist originating from 1 square
best FPS for mist ratio [you get mist, but just from 1 square]
cannot be addapted for bigger use
but can be adapted for a different z level

so how do I build it? (example operates on z-2)
easy
lets call the topside z0
make a 1*1 channel, this will be your starting water tank
on z-1 clear the ramp, designate a 2*1 space for the pump that will pump into the water tank and a 1*1 channel, where the pump will draw
make a 2*1channel on z0, starting above the drawing channel you designated on z-1 twords the existing z0 channel
dig a tunnel from your z-2 [channel made] ramp to your entrance stairway
build a pump on z-1, pumping from the drawing channel to the water tank
{you can now remove the lower z-2 ramp and expand the room as you see fit}
build a pump on z0, pumping from the water tank to above the drawing channel (opposite pump direction)
build simple scafolding that will enable you to place a windmill on z+1, above the top pump
fill the water tank via bucket brigade to 7/7
when full, cancel the pond zone and build the windmill

thats it

--------------
optimisation:
build a 1*1 paved rode in the water tank to prevent treegrowth mocking up your pump  (z-1)
build a statue where the drawing channel is situated to prevent mudied ground (z-2)
--------------

hope this comes in handy,
thou i personaly havent copied this design from anywhere but my head, it is possible that it allready exists
also half the credit goes to AncientEnemy, who laid the fundation without which I would probably never had this idea
~~~~~~~~~
interested in mist? try the wiki
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Mist

need to mist a bigger room? try the 4pump method(can be expanded)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=34407.0

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Got any pics?

Abysium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ill do those tommorow, i tried hard to be as clear as possible, but its 3 am here and im running on low sleep reserves

basically its

MMM     z+1
CPPC    z0
CPPD    z-1
D       z-2

MMM = windmill
C = channel
PP = pump
D = dig

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like to see pics as well, as I can't quite make out what you are describing, thought it definitely sounds easy to make.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile

I may be missing something, but isn't that basically this from the wiki?
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile

Yep. 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Abysium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

from bottom to top

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

the scafolding on z0 is not yet removed, so you can get a basic idea on how to get that mill up on z+1
also, if you dig out the room on z-2 berfore you finish with the work on z-1, youll either have to make a ramp&wall on z-2 to get up there or stairs(which will be harder to remove since dwarves like to get stuck in places with no escape
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 03:34:52 am by Abysium »

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why not just build the shower one level lower? This way the top pump can be inside. If you build the watermill first and then whatever it is supposed to power after right below it, it can transfer power through solid floor. This way, if a building destroyer comes and tears down the mill, he wont have a way in.

Also, dont fill the 'water tank' full up. Any water depth at or above 4/7 causes job cancellation 'dangerous terrain', if a dwarf gets hit by the travelling water stack.

And I suggest building it in a very high traffic area and preferably near your entrance.
(a>b) ? false : true

Abysium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

one level lower is no problem, this was really a demonstration of principle, not a defacto schematic
you can build this on z-30 still only powered with just one windmill [dont know how to have a windmill active on z-30? figure it out, basicaly it involves a lot of channeling...]

building destroyer couldnt enter becouse he can neither get to z-1, nor to z-2, throu this stack, even if he destroys both pumps and the windmill [unless he also has flying, but then you got other stuff to worrie about]

the statue is there so noone steps directly under the generator, you could also use other workarrounds like restricted terrain or 3/7 water depth, its up to you really how to dodge the job cancellation 'dangerous terrain'.