Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just DIE Already!!!  (Read 2313 times)

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just DIE Already!!!
« on: May 07, 2012, 04:38:07 am »

Anybody else have those fortresses where everything goes to crap and you have ONE last dwarf that seems to be blessed by the Gods by NOT dying, even when they are missing half of their limbs and slowly bleeding out on their death bed and all you want to do is scream, "JUST DIE ALREADY!!!"?

What's even worse is when some migrants arrive at the last second. Some fortresses should just die. Period.

ichigo2862

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Just DIE Already!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 04:56:33 am »

My fort has been tantrum spiraling for a few seasons now. I'm debating whether to let them die out over time, or just quit the fort and start fresh on a new embark.

Guess I'll just quit since I'm too lazy to drown them all and/or wait it out.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 06:50:14 am »

abandoning a fort can sometimes be useful because it remembers your surviving dwarves and adds them to the potential migrant list. However, there is a bug at the moment where they sometimes come with the injuries they had when you abandoned, making them fall to the ground and bleed out as soon as they enter the map.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 01:00:48 pm »

Quite the opposite with me. Usually, When I'm left with only one remaining dwarf, and I feel confident I will actually have a chance at bringing the fortress back from total destruction, the gods seem to go "lol nope", and have the dwarf die off before migrants can arrive.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 05:10:58 pm »

If by "WHY WON'T YOU DIE!"

You mean "WHY WON'T YOU ALL DIE!"

Then, kinda.

That said, I also feel a need for preserving the lives of my Dwarves.

It's a really awkward stance.
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 06:14:54 pm »

...That's why there is the "abandon fortress" button.

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 06:36:36 pm »

abandoning a fort can sometimes be useful because it remembers your surviving dwarves and adds them to the potential migrant list. However, there is a bug at the moment where they sometimes come with the injuries they had when you abandoned, making them fall to the ground and bleed out as soon as they enter the map.

How is this a bug? I mean, if Urist McRecruit lost his arms in battle, do you really think that they should grow back? Granted, a better way to do it would probably be to provide the player with some kind of warning that there are injured dwarves in the party, but who cares? It's a good game anyway.

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 06:41:13 pm »

I feel that by pressing the "Abandon Fortress" button, I have lost a battle with myself. Once I'm in, I'm in for good. It's also fun watching my minions suffer. :)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 07:57:42 pm »

How is this a bug? I mean, if Urist McRecruit lost his arms in battle, do you really think that they should grow back? Granted, a better way to do it would probably be to provide the player with some kind of warning that there are injured dwarves in the party, but who cares? It's a good game anyway.

The buggy part is where they arrive and immediately bleed out, instead of the wounds closing before then or the dwarves dying at the time, not several months or years later.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 09:05:45 pm »

I feel that by pressing the "Abandon Fortress" button, I have lost a battle with myself. Once I'm in, I'm in for good. It's also fun watching my minions suffer. :)

See, if it's just one guy you can abandon and go to Adventure mode and murder the son of a bitch yourself if you make it to the fortress quick enough that they are still there.

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 04:15:47 am »

See, if it's just one guy you can abandon and go to Adventure mode and murder the son of a bitch yourself if you make it to the fortress quick enough that they are still there.

Hmmm... Sounds like a plan...

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 05:21:21 am »

I had a dog that was horribly maimed, but had an absurd tenacity. It was missing various limbs an had some mangled organs, but wouldn't give up the ghost.

Basically, its lifestyle was: Fall unconscious for roughly a week. Wake up. Walk two steps while vomiting profusely. Fall unconscious again in a stew of own bile. Repeat.

This lasted years.

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 10:52:58 pm »

I'd be happy as a clam if I could get a couple forts I'm playing down to one or even two dwarves, severed limbs or no severed limbs. I kind of want to abandon the forts and make them lairs for adventure mode, but I feel I should wait until they've suffered some catastrophe that isn't outright murder on my part (no deliberate flooding, for example, which would defeat the purpose, anyways.)

But dammit, my fort that was limping along is now back to population 67, and the other fort that I thought would be slaughtered by the legendary dragon or the three or four sieges is back in the 90s. IDJUTS JUST WON'T DIE!!!

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 11:02:45 pm »

so your problem is your too good at keeping your dwarves alive?

download masterworkDF and don't build a front gate/wall, leave the fort entirely open by at least one entrance, no traps, turn on all enemies too.

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 04:18:45 am »

so your problem is your too good at keeping your dwarves alive?

download masterworkDF and don't build a front gate/wall, leave the fort entirely open by at least one entrance, no traps, turn on all enemies too.

Actually... I was using MasterworkDF (latest version). And there's two stupid ogres (and an ogress) hanging RIGHT outside my hospital zone!!! They act like thugs too- They keep beating my new soldiers to death, but when it's time to kill the leader of the fort, they stand around and wait for him to get out of the hospital. It's like some kind of Mafia creed or something. You know- They can't "do business" when the client is "out of town". AND it's like the dwarf KNOWS what's "coming to him", so he's feigning his injuries to stay in the hospital!!!