Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Hopes and Dreams, and Dwarven Counselors  (Read 678 times)

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Hopes and Dreams, and Dwarven Counselors
« on: March 29, 2012, 06:11:52 pm »

Gives dwarves aspirations that tie with their personalities. If the dwarf achieves their aspiration, they get happy. Aspirations would appear on the flavor text of the selected dwarf

Examples:
  • "Yearns to take part in slaughter": A dwarf with a high 'rage' personality facet might get this. A dwarf with this aspiration would enjoy killing something.
  • "Yearns to consume a legendary meal": A dwarf with a high 'immoderation" facet might get this. They would get an unnatural surge of joy from gorging themselves.
  • "Wishes to throw a party": A gregarious dwarf could get this. The dwarf would be very satisfied after throwing a party, moreso if plenty join it.
  • "Would love to partake in a hunt": A dwarf that seeks adventure could get this. They would get a happiness boost after bagging a critter, especially if the creature is huge.
  • "Would absolutely enjoy a bath": This aspiration doesn't link itself to a certain facet of personality. A grimy dwarf is more prone to wish for a bath than a spotless/slobby dwarf, especially if the dwarf has been under a lot of stess recently.
  • "Yearns to end oneself": Appears on the melancholy dwarf.

Examples of achievement text:
  • "Bagged an animal/large animal/gigantic animal on a hunt recently." For a dwarf satisfied with his hunt.
Other achievements are already covered by the default game.

The new admin, the Counselor, allows you to see in neat list form, the feelings and aspirations of dwarves that the counselor has met with. The counseler could provide guidance to the player in a. making a military of willing, bloodthirsty dwarves instead of some wimpy potashers, b. when to cater to the whims of dwarves and c. when to pump out bling to appease depressed dwarves. A Counselor (or at least a good one) requires Consoler skills, Pacifier skill, and Conversationalist skills to be effective in curing the woes of dwarves. A sufficiently skilled dwarf can rehabilitate a melancholy, stark raving mad or beserk dwarf (if the beserker in question is disabled first).

I don't know about you, but I think these would be cool additions to the game. The Counselor could really help with tantrum spirals, too.
I usually think of Armok as the pure essence of FUCK YOU!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Hopes and Dreams, and Dwarven Counselors
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 08:38:34 pm »

These are potentially good ideas, espeically if we could have a menu that would let us overview the emotional well-being of the whole fortress at once as a feature of having this noble up to a certain skill level.

That said, Personality Rewrites are looming, and everything about personality might change in ways we don't know about yet, so... who knows what the future holds?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

soiducked

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Hopes and Dreams, and Dwarven Counselors
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 04:29:48 pm »

I like this idea a lot. Maybe noble demands could be related to their aspirations, not just their preferences.