Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How much FUN is fun?  (Read 3864 times)

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How much FUN is fun?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 08:36:56 pm »

There is a difference between setting restrictions on yourself and not trying. If you do not allow yourself to use danger rooms because you think they make the game too easy, it doesn't mean you're not trying.

Deliberately choosing an impossible set of restrictions is not even proper Fun. If you chose to lose, you did not lose.

Alidus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 08:50:48 pm »

There is a difference between setting restrictions on yourself and not trying. If you do not allow yourself to use danger rooms because you think they make the game too easy, it doesn't mean you're not trying.

Deliberately choosing an impossible set of restrictions is not even proper Fun. If you chose to lose, you did not lose.

You can't lose then once experienced.  :P

It's like the damn Rice Changers in Shiren. They can turn any of your items into a riceball, including that pot full of expensive loot. After a while though you learn and they never get a chance to do this again, and if they do, it was surely your mistake. The actual challenge of Rice Changers is effectively gone forever once learned since if they get you after you know how to deal with them, it's your own fault.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 12:28:04 pm »

Two things:

First, you're somewhat overthinking this - Toady first started with the "Losing is Fun" tagline partly because there are no win conditions, only lose conditions, like most city-manager games (and people ask the same stupid questions they asked of SimCity, like "why do you play if you can't win?").  Further, you are meant to not only lose, but lose and then send an adventurer in to explore your fallen fortress later.  Creating successive fortresses that build upon the history of one another, or adventurers whose stories intersect and having ongoing worlds was part of the original appeal the game was meant to have, so losing in one game mode wasn't a reason to stop playing or boot up a new world.

Second, this game has no tutorial.  You were meant to learn through trial and error before the wiki showed up.  As in, you were supposed to learn about cave-ins when they kept happening to you when you build hallways too wide.  After losing to cave-ins or floods a few times, you learn how to deal with them. 

Because of this second version, I tend to prefer "Learning is Fun" to "Losing is Fun".  Because much of the fun of the game is in exploring its little realisms and coming to understand how its mechanisms work through interaction.  If you don't learn to understand how to respect water pressure and treat it with caution and understanding by taking the time to read up on the wiki... prepare to Learn the Fun way. 

And as a corollary, losing that way is Fun only when you understand what you did wrong.  Find out about the HFS the hard way, but learn to respect the cotton candy in the process?  You probably have fun.  Lose instantly because of a corrupt worldgen that dumps your dwarves in the magma as soon as you embark after spending an hour looking for the right embark spot and searching for a world with a rich history you'd enjoy?  Not Fun at all. 

Things that are completely random and beyond your control that just shit on your day is what makes real life unfun.  Things that you can learn to predict and defend against, even when there are serious random elements involved that keep them from being perfectly predictable are Fun, however. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 12:33:34 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 12:30:57 pm »

It's only FUN if you did everything in your power to avoid it, employed all your accumelated knowledge and skill yet not nearly enough. That's when you know you've had fun. Intentionally messing up...eh maybe some may call it fun, I call it fail.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 07:04:53 am »

Breaching hell, getting five forgotten beasts, four bronze colossuses and three zombie sieges all at the same time.

Of couse, the FPS rape due to 400 creatures on your map at the same time is only part of the fun.

Alternatively, conquering hell or flooding the world with magma.

bitesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember, FTW is WTF spelled backwards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2012, 08:12:48 am »

Kohaku:

Tells us we're overthinking it... writes 5 paragraghs about it.
It only takes a second to show someone how you feel about them. The police call it "indecent exposure", but whatever.
Quote from: I-Ching
You lose your efficacious tortoise, and look at me till your jaw falls down.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2012, 09:05:08 am »

Going straight to the circus could be fun if your miners are also soldiers, and pretty experienced at that, otherwise you know you're gonna get your ass handed to you. There's no point. I don't think you can normally embark with good enough dwarfs for that to be fun.
Back in 40d if you timed your abandon right you could reclaim with up to like 80 skilled soldiers and tear through just about anything that wiped your old fortress out and then more. Those fun times vanished with 2010 though. :(

Unless you lost a couple in the process, whereaupon all the rest tantrum (because they are all friends with each other), and you lose the entire rest of your reclaim army to the tantrum spiral.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2012, 09:51:50 am »

DF is like Life. You WILL lose eventually, though starvation, madness, HFS, Invaders, vampire, idiocy, flooding, magma, Forgotten beasts...
Eventually one(or more) will get you (well as long as you don't give up due to FPS death.)
It's the awesome moments which are fun, these can come from FUN, but not necessary. Scrapping together a fort from the ashes or fighting off hell are fun, they can also be FUN, but it's not the impending doom that makes them fun.

We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2012, 11:44:53 am »

Kohaku:

Tells us we're overthinking it... writes 5 paragraghs about it.

Your point?

Perhaps I should have said that you were letting your thoughts about the notion of Fun from a narrowly defined and detailed-oriented view followed to their extreme conclusions cloud your perspective of what Fun was originally supposed to mean and how it has expanded since then. 

However, that isn't quite as pithy.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 12:27:31 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

bitesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2012, 11:52:00 am »

... you were letting... were clouding... 
Not a sentence.
It only takes a second to show someone how you feel about them. The police call it "indecent exposure", but whatever.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2012, 12:28:36 pm »

... you were letting... were clouding... 
Not a sentence.

My apologies, I rewrote that sentence a few times and lost track of its structure.

I hope I did not overly offend your grammatic sensibilities. 
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

bitesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2012, 12:48:22 pm »

Don't talk to me about offense when you're the one who was offended in the first place.

EDIT: Proofread your shit, and all that'll be averted.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 12:58:24 pm by bitesh »

FistFacer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2012, 12:56:50 pm »

Even fun can kill your dwarfys.

"Fun strikes dwarf miner in the head smashing the skull threw the brain"
Pages: 1 [2]