Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dealing with vampires  (Read 2463 times)

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dealing with vampires
« on: May 01, 2012, 08:44:19 am »

Asssuming no easy access to liquid hot magma, how do you deal with vampires?  I have some locked in rooms.  I find telling the vampires with no mechanics skill "hey, go build a trap in this bedroom.  Oops, someone locked the door behind you" and leave them to rot.

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with vampires
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 08:46:27 am »

Depends on what you mean "Dealing with"
Just wall them in, and you have eternal fortress.
Otherwise, really tall collapsible tower!
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 09:00:28 am »

I found it easiest to make them militia captains and tell them to train somewhere and then wall them in.
Actually the door is a bridge so they can be released.
I thought they were immortal but when killed they don't raise from the dead...
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 09:09:32 am »

I need to figure out a reliable way to feed children to vampires, then I'd be set.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 09:34:33 am »

If you want to kill them you shouldnt need anything more elaborate than a 1-tile room with a fully loaded spike trap, loaded with either glass or metal menacing spikes/spears. Link them to a lever, place a door.
Asign them to a burrow inside of that, lock the door, set the lever to "Pull the lever" on repeat. If hes not armored he should die shortly, if he is, then eventually.

In case he doesnt die for a while you would have yourself a legendary fighter to deal with things, or at least somehting to keep your doctors busy.

Or you can just wall him in.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 09:41:19 am »

Wall them in somewhere with all of the levers, a booze cute and make them a manager/bookkeeper. Eternal Fortress!
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 10:25:51 am »

While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 12:05:49 pm »

If you just want to kill the vampire, that is trivially easy. I'm sure you can figure out a dozen ways to kill them off.

If you want to keep the vampire around that takes a little bit of cleverness, but is easy to do.

First, create a room for the vampire if they are a noble. It seems most royalty ends up being vampires for some reason. This is so they don't become unhappy for not having a room even though they don't actually use the room. Then draft the vampire into a military squad. Assign them a custom uniform. By the time you get a king you probably have a lot of artifact clothing in your fortress. Assign them an artifact shirt, pants, and shoes. Artifacts can never rot.

Lure the noble to his tomb somehow, such as with a lever with his name on it. Then lock the door behind him and wall off the room. The vampire king is now stuck in his throne room forever alone, wearing clothing that will never rot, and will never go insane from nakedness for the rest of eternity.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 12:11:13 pm »

I have a similar problem, but my only vampire is a king, and I don't have any artefact clothing except a cloak. Won't vampires pick clothes on their own if given chance? Because if they do pick them, then I might just thrown some into his Royal Prison (which I'm beginning to building, kind of late). Also, is there a way to make king a part of military or at least to equip him with a weapon?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 03:34:39 pm »

You can recruit anyone into the military. A noble cannot lead a military squad, but they can be a member of the squad.

Artifacts are always random, but in a mature fortress with a lot of dwarves just by sheer chance you will probably get some artifact clothing that can be assigned to the vampire. Of course they can also wear just regular clothes, but the problem with regular clothes is that it will rot away over time, so you can't quite forever entomb the vampire. You still need to do occasional supply drops into the tomb.

Can't have the vampire fetch his own clothing, because after being entombed for years he'll be hungry, and then go OMNOMNOMNOM through the bedrooms.

Vampires do seem to prefer to eat legendary armorsmiths first.  >:(

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 04:01:56 pm »

Name him Dracula and when you become a barony, make him the Baron, then eventually, you become a County and you will have Count Dracula.

micha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 01:31:48 pm »

You can recruit anyone into the military. A noble cannot lead a military squad, but they can be a member of the squad.

true for all except one re-assignable noble ;)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 02:24:34 pm »

I didn't have to change anything at all when I transitioned from .31 to .34, as I was already obsessive to the levels of the arch-type big brother Overseer. Vampires were usually spotted by me very early on, but there are always exceptions - recently I found one as a side effect of me naming every single Dwarf's profession by wave number I could ascertain which waves were clean. The moment a dead body was found, the latest migrant wave were immediately rounded up, and the suspects from them were chosen for execution. Any witness who declared a migrant from an earlier wave to be a creature of the night was also summarily executed, for not knowing the custom.

And so Silentthunders remains vampire free, to this day.
(Secret holding chambers don't count).

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 03:54:24 pm »

I'm having a big of a vampire problem too.

I'm considering stabbing a vampire with training spears repeatedly over a well that he's stationed over, so that his blood defiles the water and I have an entire fortress of vampire dwarfs. Would this work?