Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The hatred of blankets - Achieving the impossible  (Read 1776 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
The hatred of blankets - Achieving the impossible
« on: June 03, 2012, 07:08:34 pm »

I must share with you bay12, of something momentous.

Today, whilst building upon more of silentthunders, just a few minutes ago I was making sure none of my builders walled themselves into their dooms, when I saw the unmistakable mushroom silhouette of an engraving punishing my desire for perfection through irregular symmetry of the brass palisade I was constructing.

I couldn't believe myself.

I had to check over multiple times to make sure it was what I thought it was.

Indeed, it was an ordinary brass pillar, made out of one brass bar, and it had an engraving on it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I immediately saved my game, just to check if something game breaking had happened - but no. It saved fine.
I knew I had to immediately report my findings to bay12.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't know how they did it, why they did it and I have not been able to replicate it, but my Dwarves have made me proud.

They've engraved in constructed walls.

I've never even designated anything to be engraved for the past year.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The hatred of blankets - Achieving the impossible
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 07:24:52 pm »

At a guess, you did have somebody engrave something in that spot at some point as there was an old bug where constructing walls on a formerly engraved site would transfer the image in certain situations.

I've never understood why you could carve fortifications into constructed walls, but not etch an image into them instead.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 07:29:39 pm »

At a guess, you did have somebody engrave something in that spot at some point as there was an old bug where constructing walls on a formerly engraved site would transfer the image in certain situations.

I've designated one thing to be engraved in my fort, and that was a Dwarf year ago, and far away. But this could be related - I was carving fortifications into the walls.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 10:00:53 pm »

I suspect these 'goblin caps' were just two troll faces.  :P

Posting to watch.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 12:04:31 am »

You can construct straight-up fortifications without building walls first, you know.

But yeah this is wacky. The carve fortification got mixed up with the carve engraving designation, it seems.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 12:06:06 am »

If this were reproducible, that'd be amazing. Science, anyone?

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 12:16:26 am »

You can construct straight-up fortifications without building walls first, you know.

Sure, but constructed fortifications don't have a floor above them while carved ones do. Building the wall and the carving them means that your dwarves can walk around on top of the fortifications with having to build a floor or bridge first.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 09:11:56 pm »

I was planning to carve fortifications into the stone wall I have built around the area claimed for my current fort, as I am expecting the dead to visit in the flesh within the next year (currently mid Obsidian of the forts first year).  I'll be sure to see if I can designate any of it for engraving while I'm at it. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 11:31:39 pm »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 11:33:24 pm »

Is it wierd I read this whole thread expecting the OP to post a reaction to make your dwarves use blankets when they sleep?
Or at least a theory as to why there are no blankets in DF?
Or literally ANYTHING blanket related?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.