Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Community Outlining Workshop  (Read 1882 times)

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
A Community Outlining Workshop
« on: June 22, 2012, 05:11:03 am »

By "outlining" I mean writing the plot for a story, the setting, characters and other things. I wanted to make a community novel thread at first, but then decided that it would be a bit of a stretch; for one because I'm even more clueless how to organize that. But I figured outlining would be manageable; everyone must be up for some outlining; people keep saying it's the easy part of writing.

So, to start things off, I'd like ideas for a premise. For example, and what I've thought about for a bit, a premise would be "what if aliens visited the Earth, but one man slept through it." (The implication here is that he must cope somehow with believing they were here despite having never seen them.) That's the kind of premise I'm talking about. Is there a 'what if'(s) that you'd like to turn into a story or just made up or heard of?

Premise suggestions:
  • What if a space station was powered by magic
  • Insert yours here
----

In other news, if it turns out awesome enough someone might pick it up as a writing project, or it might become a community writing thing, or even something more. At least that's my peachy vision of it. But for now I'd just like to have fun and throw ideas around.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 10:08:56 am by Supermikhail »

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Community Outlining Workshop
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 09:31:01 am »

Random story ideas:

http://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=storygen

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

First result in Google... honestly, they're not bad.
Interesting, at any rate.

The last one about "a crippled weapons master who is in debt to an acrobatic fortune-teller" sounds promising.

I also like "It takes place on a space station established by magical means." A magic space station. That's actually pretty awesome.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 09:38:28 am »

Some of those are seriously freaking hilarious. :P Let's combine them all!

...Slightly more on topic: The crippled weapons master has to make a dangerous journey to the magic space station, to retrieve the holy Sword of Newscasters and pawn it off to cover his debts.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 10:07:35 am »

Ok, those aren't really 'what if's. Maybe I'm biased, but I don't see successful fiction starting off a plot generator*. In any case I don't think stories start with a plot, but a premise. If you could boil those down to a 'what if', I'd consider them. Unless the majority decides they are too awesome.

Maybe if we take a magic space station premise. I'll put it up under "What if a space station was powered by magic," if you don't mind. It could be fun.

...Aw, what the hell. I'll keep the 'crippled weapons master to the magic space station' angle in mind, in case public opinion swings that way.

*In the sense that successful fiction goes with the author(s) caring about it, and it's kind of hard when it's a random roll amidst a thousand.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 10:11:58 am by Supermikhail »

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 11:28:17 am »

The sort of society that would build a magic space station seems like an interesting next place to go. Obviously, they're scientifically curious enough to determine enough about the world to come up with the concept of a space station, but for some reason haven't worked out rockets. Is magic just that easy?

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 01:45:17 pm »

Noooooooooooooooo.

I was hoping to be the only person writing magic in space.

;___;

Edit: I thought it might be best to postface this with the fact that I'm mostly joking here. I am writing magic in space. It's rather uncanny for me to then read this here. I'm pretty sure our concepts are completely different though. Time will tell.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 01:56:24 pm by Willfor »
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 04:28:04 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's one of the Laws of Writing that someone's had your idea before you. :P

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 08:25:52 pm »

Is magic just that easy?
It helps that I'm reading Terry Pratchett right now.

No, magic is not easy. It requires blood, sweat and tears, just like any science. And some chicken sacrifice. Although it depends on what kind of magic we're talking about here. For example, we could be talking about the Dwarf Fortress kind of magic. ;)

E:
Dwarf Fortress kind of magic.
It probably means that the space station is either a) powered by magma, b) a breed of a domesticated forgotten beast.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 08:49:08 pm by Supermikhail »

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 07:32:42 am »