Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deities and the strange mood/artifact system  (Read 2128 times)

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Deities and the strange mood/artifact system
« on: April 28, 2012, 02:27:27 pm »

One possible way of making the strange moods system more interesting is introducing gods, demons and spirits as the cause of some of them. Gods could induce moods in dwarves who worship them and have a favourable set of attributes according to the god's sphere, demons would probably only care about attributes or just pick someone at random and spirits could use attributes/preferences. In addition, past achievements, such as skill levels and kills, should also affect this. Essentially we'd have 4 classes of strange moods which could interact with the current different moods. Having different entities preferring different kinds of moods, for instance a mood induced by a demon being more likely to be a fell mod, would also be pretty reasonable. You could also have different deities preferring different materials, such as a earthen god preferring to have artifacts made of rock and gems and a demon preferring to use bones.

The artifacts created from the moods would differ from each other. If one were to use the above system you'd get:

Dwarven artifacts: These have no magical properties, but are of exceptional quality. Same as todays artifacts.

Spirit artifacts: Slightly magical artifacts, with magical effects according to the spirits sphere. A sword whose edge never dulls, a bin which causes all items in it to become weightless, an axe which head could occasionally burst into flames et cetera.

Divine artifacts: Powerful magical artifacts, with magical effects according to the gods sphere. The same as spirit artifacts really, but more powerful.

Demonic artifacts: Powerful magical artifacts, but the magical properties comes at a great price. A sword which magically drains the life out of everyone around it, or induces a terrible rage which gives great combat bonuses but causes the wielder to go on a rampage killing everything around him/her until the sword has claimed three lives. A bin that magically creates food in abundance, but requires sacrificing an infant in a horrendous way.

Lastly, the deities could also punish unworthy wielders of the artifact. Worthiness would be determined by attributes/achievements/preferences.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 02:29:50 pm by Escapism »

CandyOreVein

• Bay Watcher
  • [RELEASESCLOWNS_TRUE]
    • View Profile
Re: Deities and the strange mood/artifact system
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 02:33:47 pm »

Urist McWorshipsDemons makes a divine artifiact that causes all other metals to turn into !!Candy!! metal.
Urist McNeedsToPullLever cancles pull lever. Enemy we where trying to keep out scared him.

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 11:27:30 am »

Urist McWorshipsDemons makes a divine artifiact that causes all other metals to turn into !!Candy!! metal.
Can candy/metals burn? Otherwise, a flaming adamantine sword would be pretty sweet.

UHaulDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • kiwisbybeat.com/minus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 01:33:44 am »

Well a dwarfs preferences plays a part in the artifact that they make.
Given that, we could add thinks like a ghost's dwarfs preferences, or the given gods associated elements.
Evil areas could have demonic influences and good areas could have good influences.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human dwarven stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein Urist McStein

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 11:45:01 pm »

I think, more than anything, the Deities need some kind of Boon to give their followers.  Right now it appears, in worldgen, that all they ever do is Curse people to become werelynxes and coatipyres and other such silliness.

This is a good idea as far as what one could do, but what about Divine Inspiration?

Urist worships god of War.

God is pleased with Urist.

God whispers in Urist's ear.

Urist gets a mood, claims workshop.

God imbues divine essense into artifact.

Urist creates Gleaminggems the Divine Birthright, the Axe.  All worksdwarfship is INSPIRED!  It strikes Goblins dead.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 11:46:29 pm »

Personally I would think if a god gets involved even a human could create an artifact.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 12:04:22 am »

"Amen" brother.

===

Also, what Gods do really should have a lot more to do with what Spheres they represent.  If you add interactions with a divine source, every single god will use every last one of them to curse people who profane their temples.  I have gods of beauty and forgiveness casting horrible plagues on people in worldgen.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 12:09:15 am by Jeoshua »
I like fortresses because they are still underground.