Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Solar eclipse now/soon visible from US west coast  (Read 1611 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Solar eclipse now/soon visible from US west coast
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 09:12:55 am »

I forget when the next opportunity is, but I'm sure we'll all be told about it
August 21, 2017
That's for the US.  For the UK it looks like it'd be a very very slight partial, with the sun close to the horizon, as well, so you need a favourable view.  And it'd be 8PM-9PM, which is close to dusk at that time of year, if I've adjusted right for DST.

It's not even listed on the equivalent page of all events for the UK.  Although, regardless, 13/Nov/2012 is listed there as a partial, but as far as I can tell that's very much South Pacific (the UTC times indicate well after 7PM to just before midnight, so obviously not even a chance of even being close to the horizon with the sun up...

However,, if the rest of the info on that page is considered both accurate and complete, the next Total will be 2090 (might be beyond my time, longevity treatments and/or sheer luck notwithstanding), with varying degrees of partial occurring on a handful of other occasions.  I'll probably have to travel to get to see an example before I get my brain put into a robotic replacement body and take over the world!!!!! Muahahahaha!!!! continue to do my bit to help humanity.

Looking elsewhere, it looks like I could pop over into Europe for... oh.. let's see August 2, 2027 includes Spain...  or I could have headed north (a bit sooner) for March 20th, 2015 which takes in the Faroes on the way up to the Pole (i.e. slap bang between British Isles and Iceland, with precious little actual landfal except for whatever packice you could count as that).  But, realistically I could just try to to catch an eclipse by going to whatever part of the world the next conveniently timed (and accessible!) one is.  When I can afford the spending power. ;)

Let's see, that November one takes in Australia (though not brilliantly so, and missed NZ) May 10th next year is an Annular also gracing bits of Australia with some of a view.  Looks like your 2017 one might otherwise be the best one to aim for.  Both for prep time and a good amount of track over currently politically-stable territory[1] without too much culture shock!  There's also Antartica as a destination in a few instances.

Or I could take advantage of the inevitable aerial catch-up/be-caught-up-be trips for any conveniently timed one, regardless of landfall or (most!) underlying political situations on the ground[2].  If I ever have the wonga. ;)

But maybe, just maybe, by the time much of that gets to be realised, though, I might have retired to Mars.  Complaining that Phobos and Diemos just don't eclipse enough, being so small...  Still, there's always the giant space mirror/focusser/filter thing they'll be building in orbit!

[1] Always a good thing to consider if it's going to be a holiday.  Next year's Gabon/Congos/Uganda/Kenya/Ethiopia one isn't that attractive in that respect...  But time will tell on all counts. ;)

[2] Let's see, any mention of the Koreas?  Yes, 2035.  But Japan's also listed on that.  And who knows what'll change in the next 23 years!
Pages: 1 [2]