Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help me make this game work on DosBox! (Star Trek: Judgment Rites)  (Read 8611 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games

I found a copy of Star Trek: Judgment Rites on an abandonware site. It's the CD-Rom version of the game, comes as a CD image file. I mounted the file with Virtual Clone Drive and added the install file on the virtual CD to my DosShell. I ran the install file and it asked me to choose a directory to install to. I left it as the default (C:\Interplay\Trek2) and clicked "go" but it gave me the error that it can't create the folder.

I'm not sure exactly what directory programs use on the computer when they run through DosBox. I'm pretty sure it's not the actual C drive, but a folder somewhere on it. My copy of DosShell is supposed to automatically mount the C:\ drive when I run a program, which is good because I have no idea how to use DosBox without it. I'm not sure why it says it can't create the folder. It won't install as is.

I then tried changing the install directory to just C:\ and it said "directory already exists, are you sure you want to use it?" I clicked yes, and it said it installed, but I couldn't find the files anywhere.

There are other files on the CD image, and I tried running "TREKJR.EXE" - it gave me the Interplay intro, then a blank screen.

I know that other people have gotten this game to run without difficulty, but I have no idea how to go about doing it myself. Can anyone help out? I really want to play this one. I've heard it's really good.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help me make this game work on DosBox! (Star Trek: Judgment Rites)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 12:28:06 pm »

Abandonia should have a how to on that, if they also carry it.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 12:29:53 pm »

They don't have the CD-ROM version. I got mine from myabandonware.com - they have a general "use these programs to play old games" page, but no specific  how-to to get this one to work. I've already Googled it, can't find any help. : /

There is another version on Abandonia, but it doesn't have the voiceovers and cutscenes, which I really want.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 12:47:40 pm »

Here's DosBox's comments on it: http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=981&letter=S

And someone with CD issues with much help from the forum: http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=28852

If you're still boned I'd say reinstall DosBox and get a copy that just runs Star Trek.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 01:12:02 pm »

Just FYI, the Toad disapproves of adbandonware.

Either way, I think you need to use the mount command in dosbox first to make dosbox treat a particular folder on your computer as the c directory. IIRC it's "mount <drive letter> <path>", but typing "help mount" should tell you anyway. (or "help mount")

Oh, and you could try to mount the image directly into dosbox instead of copying files over, using the same mount command.

I'm currently on my tablet, if you want a less rambly and more coherent guide, just ask :P
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 01:14:40 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 02:18:52 pm »

OK, if I understand correctly, I need to use DosBox (not Shell) and mount 2 separate directories, the CD image as drive D and a folder on the HD as drive C. Let me see if I can figure that out. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: I got it installed, but when I try to play the game, it gives me the Interplay logo, then a black screen. I've followed all the directions I can find and I can't find this issue anywhere else. The CD and everything is still mounted. Any other ideas? : (
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 02:28:56 pm by Sappho »

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 02:33:20 pm »

Probably not it, but certain DRMs require that you mount the cd-rom using "mount <drive letter> <path> -t cdrom".

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 02:35:31 pm »

Yeah, I did that. Still doesn't work. : (

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 02:52:10 pm »

Mess around with the sound settings (first check if it'll run without any sound)? Try enabling/disabling EMS in the Dosbox config file? Try upping the CPU cycles (CTRL+F12) over 10 000 before running the game?

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 07:48:29 pm »

Running the setup program should fix it. Choose soundblaster for sound, default settings (actually, I'd recommended choosing no sound, but that'd defeat the purpose of the CD version). Also, try mounting the image in windows first with daemon tools or poweriso, even if you mount it as a different drive in dosbox afterwards (or unmount/remove all virtual drives in those programs. It can sometimes cause conflicts).
It's a game. Have fun.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 02:07:37 am »

Yeah, running without sound would defeat the purpose of using this version. I chose Soundblaster for sound but it didn't help. And I did mount the image in windows using Virtual Clone Drive before I started. I then mounted the virtual CD drive as drive D (with the "-t cdrom" thing) and the game folder on my hard drive as drive C. It installed without problems, but it still won't get past loading. I guess I'll try fiddling with more of the settings. Thanks again for all the help. I really hope I can get this to work! Maybe I'd have better luck playing it on my older computer, although that's still Windows Vista, older than 7 but not sure if it would make a difference to DosBox.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 02:52:44 am »

It wouldn't make any difference to DosBox, I'm pretty sure.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 04:41:13 am »

The suggestion to check if it runs without sound is more to check if it's the sound settings/emulation that are the problem than to actually play the game without sound.