Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few things.  (Read 1322 times)

CandyOreVein

• Bay Watcher
  • [RELEASESCLOWNS_TRUE]
    • View Profile
A few things.
« on: April 29, 2012, 10:30:54 pm »

All my dwarves have the Dyeing profession turned off. But they all died in magma. How do I turn off Dyeing for my dwarves.
But I digress.
How do I use magma forges. They aren't being powered even though theres a channel below them with magma.
Also how do I make dwarfs die easly. I don't have any good instant death methods.
How do I stop the "Urist McClothier cancles collect web. Cannot find path" when there are clear paths to the webs. THAT MO' FO' EVEN GOT CAUGHT IN ONE BUT CAN'T HARVEST IT???
Urist McNeedsToPullLever cancles pull lever. Enemy we where trying to keep out scared him.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few things.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 10:40:01 pm »

v-p-l for enabling labors.
Magma forges need a hole in the floor under them, with at least 4/7 magma under the hole.

'Cannot find path' for webs mean that they are looking for a web, to which a path exists, but the path goes through unexplored sections of the map. Explore the map, either by stationing a military dwarf, or designating a tile for mining near the edge of the explored cavern.

You'll find lots of great ways for dwarfs to die. I think the absolute fastest is encasing them in ice in a freezing aquifer. I can go from a custom embark (for more picks) to having everyone frozen in less than a week.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Dwarfler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 10:32:34 am »

How do I use magma forges. They aren't being powered even though theres a channel below them with magma.
Also how do I make dwarfs die easly. I don't have any good instant death methods.

1) Make sure there is magma in the z-level directly below your forge.  If you're down in a cavern layer there may be one or more levels of "open space" between the bottom level of floor and the magma sea.
2) You've already stated that you have a channel leading to magma, but you don't know how to kill dwarfs easily?  I.. I just.. have no words here.

How do I stop the "Urist McClothier cancles collect web. Cannot find path" when there are clear paths to the webs. THAT MO' FO' EVEN GOT CAUGHT IN ONE BUT CAN'T HARVEST IT???

If you just want to stop the message spam, suspend the job at the loom.  If you want him to collect webs from a certain area, designate a burrow for your weaver.  The burrow must include the loom itself and the area you want him to collect webs from.  The burrow does NOT need to be contiguous (that is, only the workshop and the collection area need to be defined as in the burrow, it does not need to cover all the ground between them).
Why do I like Dwarf Fortress so much?  It's hard to learn, harder to play, and downright impossible to win.

I mean, what's not to like?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 01:46:34 pm »

All my dwarves have the Dyeing profession turned off. But they all died in magma. How do I turn off Dyeing for my dwarves.
But I digress.

Fact : A sudden lack of dimple cups in a fortress is proportionately equal to the amount of Dwarves dead.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 01:48:45 pm »

A lack of magma may induce an overflow of plump helmetsdimple cups.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 03:47:58 pm »

to stop the web collection spam, turn of auto collect webs in the (o)rders (W)orkshop menu
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.