Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to protect pump stacks from forgotten beasts/titans?  (Read 754 times)

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to protect pump stacks from forgotten beasts/titans?
« on: April 30, 2012, 04:17:50 pm »

Like most forts, mine gets its water from an external source, a cavern lake. I've lost a fortress once when a titan got in through the river, where I sourced my water, that was totally inaccessible except by swimming. Problem is, most forgotten beasts/titans can swim, so one could really say that your water source is often the weakest point in your defense. Additionally, if you happen to get the water to your fortress with a pump stack (such as in my case), then you run the risk of having it destroyed.

So, my question is, how can I protect my pump stack from these guys? My military is very capable of killing forgotten beasts and has already killed several. I do have a fortification blocking the entrance of creatures, but that only works if the water is shallow enough, and it rarely is, except when the water system is for whatever reason filling/being stressed by some device that uses obscene amounts of water.
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: How to protect pump stacks from forgotten beasts/titans?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 04:35:41 pm »

Floor grates cannot be destroyed from below. Pumps can draw water through grates - making a completely sealed system capable of pumping water from the very depths of the HFS itself in relative safety.
Code: [Select]
.XX~
#O=O

Like so (side view)

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to protect pump stacks from forgotten beasts/titans?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 04:43:01 pm »

So I just put a grate over the input? Thanks!
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.