Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Werebeast attack  (Read 6884 times)

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Werebeast attack
« on: April 29, 2012, 10:59:17 pm »

As the third spring rolled on Blazemark The Wall of Beasts, a fortress constantly besieged by several species of zombie bird men (who had mobbed over five militia comanders), giant anthropods and dizzines-inducing fetid sludge (conveniently only raining on the south part of the map were only hunters venture), its inhabitants wondered why the goblin hordes had overlooked their small site.

Having finished the cage traps of the main entrance to the fort and were placing the finishing touches on the well, the horror! An abomination leaped form the fetid jungles, howling for blood and flesh! It ran rabidly towards the main gate as the mechanic and woodcutter leaped inside for safety! The monster leaped after them, foaming at the mouth and avoided the cage traps!
Inside the beast saw a cat tied to a rope and tore it to shreds!
As the rather-inexperienced militia of five ragtag recruits and a war dog arrived to the scene they saw that the beast...

...was just a big shrew.

And quite a weak one at that. Hell, even the regular dogs were tearing parts off. The dwarves were dissapointed, for they would have liked to experiment with it, or weaponize it but they were appaled at the weakness of the beast.
Im guessing the only way to capture a werebeast is via GCS web cagetrap?
The dogs were biting it all over the place, will any of them become infected by the curse? And the blood is everywhere, the poor thing got mobbed by dogs, sword,hammer,axedwarves and even the hunters joined in. Will the blood affect anyone? I an quite inexperienced about werebeasts and the wiki doesnt help too much about this.
Incidently, I cant seem to get my dwarves to haul any corpses to the corpse or refuse stockpile, what gives?

The main purpose of this fort was to make an army of giant lions, tigers, gorillas, and any other giant critter I could get my hands on (hence the name) to fight zombies and gobbos. But now I am very intrigued about the posibilities of werebeasts (though not yet to the point of wanting a full werebeast fort.)

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Werebeast attack
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 11:04:37 pm »

Turn on refuse gathering for surface o-r-o

I think the curse only spreads if the were beast bites a dwarf. I don't think it affects animals. I could be wrong.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 11:14:28 pm »

Turn on refuse gathering for surface o-r-o
I feel extremely stupid now. Im always forgetting this because I only ever do it once in the whole history of any fort. Thanks for that.

I think the curse only spreads if the were beast bites a dwarf. I don't think it affects animals. I could be wrong.
I see. Though I do recall a story of someone purposely infecting their water source with werebeast blood and ending with a werebeast fort. Or maybe it was forgotten beast extract and it was a very dead fort, details details.

The poor sod was so utterly crushed it couldnt even scratch anyone. Except that initial cat, what a mess that was. The cat,of course didnt survive. A side effect of having its lower body bitten off.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 03:57:33 am »

Catching a werebeast ? Just let the beast bite some useless dwarf and make sure it survives. There, you have your own werebeasts

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 04:18:03 am »

On the note of infecting...

What injuries do cause infection exactly? Does he have breach through the skin making the Dwarf bleed enough or is tearing the fat bruising a muscle enough? I'm always panicking an quarantining my attacked dwarfs - sometime I'm right sometime they seem fine even if hurt by a werebeast. Does anybody have details?
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 05:30:44 am »

I notice that every time a Werebeast attacks my fotress, it is easily overwhelemed by two farmers using nothing but their fists.

IU've had Werewolves, Werelizards, Werebears, etc. Things that sound like they would be vicious and out of control and would ruin my fortress utterly... But they are weak as shit. They don't even seem to infect those they injure, if they even manage to injure anything.

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 07:28:06 am »

True they scramble away after a short fight getting killed or fleeing of the map. I had one Dwarf turning into a weredwarf once though - ever since I got careful...

Qjet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 11:18:30 am »

just a shrew huh?

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 01:26:42 pm »

Catching a werebeast ? Just let the beast bite some useless dwarf and make sure it survives. There, you have your own werebeasts
Problem is, with the speed at which they come at the fort (5x2 embark) its kinda hard to make sure the right dwarf is at the right place. Also, at that point I had less than 30 dwarves and everyone was useful. Now I have 36 idlers and Ive run out of useless stone to dump.

On the note of infecting...

What injuries do cause infection exactly? Does he have breach through the skin making the Dwarf bleed enough or is tearing the fat bruising a muscle enough? I'm always panicking an quarantining my attacked dwarfs - sometime I'm right sometime they seem fine even if hurt by a werebeast. Does anybody have details?
It seems they attack/transform based on moon-phases. Mine appeared at crescent-moon phase.

I notice that every time a Werebeast attacks my fotress, it is easily overwhelemed by two farmers using nothing but their fists.

IU've had Werewolves, Werelizards, Werebears, etc. Things that sound like they would be vicious and out of control and would ruin my fortress utterly... But they are weak as shit. They don't even seem to infect those they injure, if they even manage to injure anything.
I get the feeling they are meant to be early threats, like before goblin ambushes and sieges. Or just a suprise random attack to test your defenses. I was only getting kobolds until it attacked. Afterwards it was all snatchers and just now Ive gotten a very weak ambush.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 01:35:14 pm »