Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can you atom smash huge animals in cages?  (Read 8593 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Can you atom smash huge animals in cages?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 12:45:59 pm »

Do the creatures crushed in the cages count as deceased, or do they simply vanish into limbo?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 12:48:03 pm »

I would assume they'd be "MISSING."

Since the most obvious way to program it to be foolproof (and most likely what Toady does based on other !!SCIENCE!! threads) would be to simply make it so that any time the game loops through animals and checks their status, and runs into any kind of error about not being able to find them, it should default to MISSING.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 12:51:43 pm »

Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical.

Really? allow me to point you to the thread on dwarven daycare, I'm sure that will give you a warm fuzzy feeling to help cheer you up  ;) http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91093.0

I see your Dwarven Day Care, and raise you a Mermaid Farming.

TVTropes has Bay12 forums in a nutshell: Affably Evil. (In the Video Games section)

The Dwarf Fortress player community is quite welcoming and helpful to new players, showering them with links to tutorials for the nigh-incomprehensible interface and helping them troubleshoot newbie mistakes and dwarven intelligence. They're also infamous for pushing Video Game Cruelty Potential to new and exciting extremes for the sake of convenience, lulz, and the dwarven way.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 12:53:59 pm by Ultimuh »

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 04:28:03 pm »

it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums.
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.

I am SO sigging this.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 06:29:31 pm »

Original motivation was to come up with an extremely simple way to deal with clowns, btw, for times when I am feeling cheat-y and just want to do some amusing project with them or their home, without much challenge.

1) Big long hall full of stupid numbers of cage traps
2) open the door
3) designate all the cages you don't want to be placed in a stockpile under a smasher
4) smash
5) proceed with amusing projects

wait, what? how is smashing creatures too big to be smashed not amusing?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 08:04:43 pm »

Do the creatures crushed in the cages count as deceased, or do they simply vanish into limbo?

Missing (which of course, only means deceased at the current time). There were dwarves standing nearby, so the cage might shield the creature from observation.

However, someone once mentioned that cages destroyed during tantrums would limbo their creature contents. I haven't been able to test that yet. Perhaps it's possible to test by locking your fort's population in a large room with many built cages, and then causing a tantrum spiral.

Limbo, for those that don't understand, would be a state where the creature is technically alive, but has no defined location.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 08:07:12 pm »

Original motivation was to come up with an extremely simple way to deal with clowns, btw, for times when I am feeling cheat-y and just want to do some amusing project with them or their home, without much challenge.

2) open the door
3) designate all the cages you don't want to be placed in a stockpile under a smasher
4) smash
Of course, since they, along with FB's and titans, are immune to traps you would need to make sure to web the traps beforehand or they would just go right over them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2012, 08:47:25 pm »

Physics, ethics, nature, and sanity weep
This is the most concise description of Dwarf Fortress I've ever seen.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2012, 11:20:39 pm »

it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums.
I am SO sigging this.
I feel honoured.

2) open the door
4) smash

wait, what? how is smashing creatures too big to be smashed not amusing?
It does not say anywhere that smashing giants in crates is not amusing. He simply assumed that your other projects were amusing as well.

Edit: Clowns are [TRAP_AVOID]
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 12:07:30 am by Blizzlord »
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2012, 10:22:08 am »

trapavoid.  Touche.

Still, with a GCS or with cave in dust, it's not a huge additional cost of effort.  Still better than a checkerboard, though not by a ton. =/ sigh.

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2012, 02:02:02 pm »

trapavoid.  Touche.

Still, with a GCS or with cave in dust, it's not a huge additional cost of effort.  Still better than a checkerboard, though not by a ton. =/ sigh.
Webbers are immune to webs. Clowns may web.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2012, 02:27:33 pm »

trapavoid.  Touche.

Are dusters immune to cave in dust?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2012, 03:01:38 pm »

trapavoid.  Touche.

Are dusters immune to cave in dust?
Explosively immune.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2012, 04:12:35 pm »

if you have it trapped why kill it?
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2012, 04:15:20 pm »

if you have it trapped why kill it?
Because most of them are useless and presumably they take up FPS more than when they're dead.  I duno.

However, the whole reason for wanting to use traps somehow instead of just a checkerboard is precisely to be able to have clowns to play with.

Pages: 1 [2]