Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: This picture really reminds me of DF and I don't know why.  (Read 2903 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
This picture really reminds me of DF and I don't know why.
« on: April 27, 2012, 03:52:50 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

One guy fucking around and who even knows, as another person watches on in disgust and awe.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: This picture really reminds me of DF and I don't know why.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 06:54:09 pm »

Symbolism, my boy. Symbolism.

You see, that retarded, deformed abomination on the floor represents Dwarf Fortress. It's horrifying, disgusting, and just all around unsettling. But most importantly, it is clearly having fun.

The people on the couch represent the Dwarf Fortress player, and the outside observer. The player is genuinely intrigued by the eldritch horror. She seeks to converse with it, learn about it, and just generally get to know it better, even despite its horrid appearance. For she does not judge the abomination solely by its looks. The observer, however, is unable to see past the abomination's unnerving superficial appearance, and is utterly bewildered as to how the player is able to interact with it in any way.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 03:25:13 am by King DZA »

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 01:04:58 am »

I think something might be wrong with that child... and no kid should have to grow up looking symbolically like Dwarf Fortress. Just put him in the pool now and remove the ladder, before he attempts to reproduce himself. One DF is enough.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Dish It Out!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 01:34:07 am »

Short person: moody dwarf
Other people: on break

"He keeps drawing pictures of gems and burning logs."
"Well that's uninteresting.  Anything else?"
"He drew a picture of himself ripping off your arm and beating you to death with it."
"It's probably just a phase."

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 03:08:32 am »

child abomination: What's the deal with airplane food!?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 06:30:25 am »

Baby: Why was I programmed to feel pain?
Woman: How do I interface with this?
Man: Can't even remember when's the last time he had some Longland beer.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 06:43:29 am »

Baby: And that was how I ripped my father's arm off with only evil intentions!

Woman: SO ADORABLE

Man: And we're looking to adopt.

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 11:00:12 pm »

You see, that retarded, deformed abomination on the floor represents Dwarf Fortress. It's horrifying, disgusting, and just all around unsettling. But most importantly, it is clearly having fun.

The people on the couch represent the Dwarf Fortress player, and the outside observer. The player is genuinely intrigued by the eldritch horror. She seeks to converse with it, learn about it, and just generally get to know it better, even despite its horrid appearance. For she does not judge the abomination solely by its looks. The observer, however, is unable to see past the abomination's unnerving superficial appearance, and is utterly bewildered as to how the player is able to interact with it in any way.

You're making it sound like a political cartoon, and I mean that in a good way. All that's left to do is have someone do a pen & ink rendition of it with the important parties properly labeled.
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 02:13:16 am »

You're making it sound like a political cartoon, and I mean that in a good way. All that's left to do is have someone do a pen & ink rendition of it with the important parties properly labeled.

Looking at the outside observer, he looks almost... a little bit afraid.
This space for rent