Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mine carts and magma  (Read 1022 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mine carts and magma
« on: April 24, 2012, 03:02:23 pm »

I believe Toady has indicated that he will allow mine carts to be filled with liquid?

He's currently experimenting with cart-based disasters which will clearly have a lot of use for fortress defense  8)

However I'm curious - how many of you are really just waiting to be able to load a few mine carts with magma and send them on a crash course to arc through the air off the tracks, then smash through the ranks of the enemy, finally exploding against a wall, spewing magma everywhere?
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Tirunus

• Bay Watcher
  • Something witty here
    • View Profile
Re: Mine carts and magma
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 03:07:21 pm »

Screw that, I am going to build the large Urist collider.
My personal text is in itself a attempt to be witty, making fun of the fact that peoples personal text usually are trying to make a witty one liner. Possibly a reference to the game or just a generally humorous. You may also find that this signature is not used to regurgitate someone else's joke in a attempt to immortalize that they felt but instead have just joined a crowd of people who are to hung onto past feeling, but is used to better explain the personal text.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 03:22:26 pm »

I want mine carts to be able to carry magma so I can easily haul enough magma for a few forges/smelters up from the depths without having to hassle with a pump stack or magma pump.

Of course, carving tracks all the way up from the magma sea may be just as much of a pain. :-/
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 03:34:54 pm »

i've been thinking about how to make a track from the depths, and i think it would be a pain to designate, but with a macro it would mostly be mining and stone detailing, with a little mechanics for the rollers and such, which is much better than a pumpstack, which requires three compontents that need to be crafted for every z level.  my main concern is that i might have to dig separate shafts for hauling different items, as i don't think the loading points will be linkable to levers or anything.  that would be very nice, though, to be able to say "load this cart full of hematite, and then pull the lever that sends it to the foundry", or you might get ore dumped in the magma cistern.

Thelogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 03:55:03 pm »

I don't think you can make levers that are linked to the contents of the cart,  but you can designate carts to be filled of certain things and for them to be "pushed off" by dwarves once they reach a certain fullness.

Also carts can trigger pressure plates.

So you could make a stockpile at the bottom where you mine out your ore and coal, and then set that cart to get sent off, powered by rollers, up stairs, and then set it to be pushed back down when it's empty.

You could also set up a system whereby hematite and coal is balanced, through applications of pressure plates and carts. Have the iron cart get sent off when it is full, and on the way, it triggers a pressure plate that only triggers if the cart is filled. That pressure plate locks off the iron mines and opens the door to the coal mines.

Then just modify the ratios so that the game knows how much of each you want in the cart and you could make sure you only ever have exactly enough coal and iron.