Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Conjecture On Minecarts: Possible Projects?  (Read 699 times)

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Conjecture On Minecarts: Possible Projects?
« on: April 23, 2012, 12:58:33 pm »

Everyone seems to be thinking on how to best weaponize, or the feasability of weaponizing this new feature, but instead of weaponry. perhaps we can discuss the asthetics? it was in a discussion of weaponizing minecarts where it clicked that perhaps a rube golberg machine could be set up with them? if that can be accomplished, then a perpetual motion machine. and if that, then synchronized minecart shows. it'll look cool, be impossible to set up, and have the added bonus of mowing down anyone on the track at the wrong time. thoughts on this?
Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
Re: Conjecture On Minecarts: Possible Projects?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 01:26:46 pm »

an automated always on decorative minecart fountain, launching minecarts back and forth over the entranceway and trade depot.  bonus points for making a lever that subtly changes the device to become deadly to anything in the entrance hall.

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 01:51:30 pm »

Well, it'd make my current project, a fortress entirely underwater, look a bit better, even if the water will still probably take several years to fill the chamber, after I'm done building it, after I've dug it out...

52 Z levels at least, with the current chamber size being 1 embark tile by 3 embark tiles.

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 04:05:29 pm »

an automated always on decorative minecart fountain, launching minecarts back and forth over the entranceway and trade depot.  bonus points for making a lever that subtly changes the device to become deadly to anything in the entrance hall.

it wasnt already deadly? the mistake is getting in the way in the first place. although, to be fair, that would peobabally slow it down enough to throw the system out of whack, if the physics are what i think they are
Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.