Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pumsplosion  (Read 2150 times)

Cobaldunderpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pumsplosion
« on: April 23, 2012, 12:17:28 pm »

So I embarked on a marshland/volcano area with no river. Stagnant pools as far as I can see. So I decided to build a cistern inside my fort and pump from the largest pool. I understood that pumps "clean" stagnant water as long as the place you are pumping to never held stagnant water. Well I built a 2x8 channel connecting the pool and the cistern with a 2x2 section left untouched in the middle to place my pumps.

xxxxooxx
xxxxooxx

x=channeled ground o=unchanneled ground

I built the pumps and cleared the cistern. I then designated the pumps for manual pumping. Since only one of my pump operaters was not on break only one dwarf came. He immediately began pumping from one of the pumps and the water flowed. I rejoiced. It had a dusting of mud, as par the course, but it wasn't stagnant. Then something happened. I'm not sure what. What suddenly shot in every direction. The pump operator was hurled into the stagnant pool and stagnant water mixed with clean. Now the cistern is contaminated and my pump operator barely survived his impromptu swim.

What just happened and how can I prevent this?
"I'm sorry, so you want me to make your underpants out of cobalt or kobolds?"

"Eh, whatever"

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pumsplosion
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 12:22:01 pm »

We'd need to see what the rows above and  below your diagram look like. Are there proper walls in place? My guess would be that the cistern overflowed, washed back over the pump operator, and touched the source pool. This would corrupt the cistern and throw the operator around.

Cobaldunderpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 12:25:19 pm »

I did have a walkway placed about 4 squares behind the pump over the cistern. The floors and walls of the channel and cistern were either constructed floors/walls or smoothed stone. The cistern was no where even near full. It is 20x15 and 2 z-levels deep. I barely got the bottom z-level covered in 1/7 water when the pump incident occured. The pump is still there, it did not deconstruct or anything. The pool is still near completely filled.

"Eh, whatever"

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 12:28:43 pm »

pics or it didn't happen.   No seriously though.  Just take a screenshot, already.  imgur.com
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Cobaldunderpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 01:09:12 pm »

I would, but I don't know how. Never needed to take one before.

"Eh, whatever"

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 01:26:38 pm »

If you are on windows then you should have a button in the top right of your keyboard that says "print screen". Hit this button when you want to take a screenshot, then open up paint and hit ctrl+v and save the image. If you are on a mac then you can use command+shift+3 and it will take a screenshot of your current screen and automatically save it to the desktop. If you are on linux then you are on your own.

After you take the screenshot upload it to a site such as http://imgur.com/ and then link it in a post here with the [img"]["/img] tokens.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 01:38:37 pm »

i think i see the problem, the pool and cistern are on the same level.  pumps move a square of water from the z below and move it up to the z they are on.  the cistern filled, overflowed, washed the pump operator back into the pool, and made a water connection to the pool, contaminating it.  make the cistern a z higher, or since youre on the surface, build walls around it.

Bilanthri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 02:26:20 pm »

An even easier method for screenshots if you have Win 7 is the Snipping Tool. No need to crop, and you can save the file where ever you want.

Cobaldunderpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 08:03:13 pm »

i think i see the problem, the pool and cistern are on the same level.  pumps move a square of water from the z below and move it up to the z they are on.  the cistern filled, overflowed, washed the pump operator back into the pool, and made a water connection to the pool, contaminating it.  make the cistern a z higher, or since youre on the surface, build walls around it.

Thank you sir! I completely forgot about the one level up difference. Well now I feel just silly.

"Eh, whatever"