Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: following Urist...  (Read 566 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
following Urist...
« on: October 26, 2012, 09:49:18 pm »

Hello,

I'd luv to see the following dwarf line, down in bottom of panel, explain more about what his job is.. another words:  Instead of reading this "following Urist..."  Have it say, "following Urist - hunt."  Or "following Urist - break."  Or "following Urist - dig."

This would save the players time in performing AI research(monitoring a specific dwarf) if we can see right along side the dwarf, the job, next to who we are following.  Instead, as things play out now, the players must jump back and forth between follow and job list. 

Not sure if this needs Toady, or a Mod maker.  If something at can be done, I'd be grateful.  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: following Urist...
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 11:26:13 pm »

Mods, not likely, but DFHack does have a lot of cool UI modifications right now, but then, I don't know of what their memory hacking can entail.

It's a good idea, though.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 11:34:09 pm »

Thanks Putnam.  On a side note..

Do you guys think I should tell Toady that f, follow craps out on me, when I toss the followed entity down a pit?  Could just be my graphics card, I guess.  Can anyone confirm that the rapid z-leveling changing goofs up recordings?  I'd luv to know if I am the only one. 

Requested ¡SCIENCE! 

This is SPARTA! 

Kick into a mass pit something that the game has on follow.  The emissary on f, follow will descend z-levels so fast, the symbols begin to zigzag out of kilter, like synchronization is off. 

I have a recording of my system going haywire upon performing this act, right at the moment the entity's pitted and begins to fall.  It views it fine, while playing, but DF craps out when movie REC-recording is set on.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 11:35:55 pm »

I'm pretty sure this would be easy enough to do if the notification is in another window in a utility.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 12:32:21 am »

Yeah, realtime data rears its ugly faces once more.  Trick or Treat.
SHUT UP KNUTOR! That's the answer I'd get over on the Therapist thread.  True, they don't want realtime in Therapist.  But f, follow is the penultimate realtime feature, is it not?  And its not in Therapist. 

So why couldn't Urist's task, be included?  Ya know to help the player, know EXACTLY what we are seeing, instead of guessing. 

Looks like Urist is making a pickup equipment trek.  WAIT.  NO STOP!  STOP I SAY!!!  Urist's carrying booze down to the obsidian farm? %KABOOM%
Scratch head in the proverbial-WTF!?!
Now I can follow one of the eight scorched bits of Urist as it floats downward. HEH!

I'm hoping for it in the next DFhack, maybe I shouldn't.  Think I'll get a STFU Knutor in the DFhack thread.  Hmm.  I'll cross link it, or something.  This info would help our game understanding.  Sincerely, Knutor

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 01:13:50 am »

It doesn't have to be totally realtime. If there is a several second margin of error for what the followed dwarf is doing at a given moment, such a tool would still be useful.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 06:10:38 am »

Yup!  If this change were implemented I'd use it to determine if some jobs/alerts, were AI burps or something else, something requiring a player's input.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 07:46:40 am »

I agree with this idea.
I also like the idea of following the corpse of a unit you were following that died.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.