Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A human caravan from Haldur has arrAN AMBUSH! CURSE THEM!x2  (Read 1425 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
A human caravan from Haldur has arrAN AMBUSH! CURSE THEM!x2
« on: April 22, 2012, 11:15:25 pm »

or, why have I not found anywhere on the bug tracker this situation: a caravan and an ambush appear at the map edge at the same location, where the player has no ability to offer defense or anything. Should this be reported as a bug? I've seen this happen a few times over several versions, but am only thinking now that it might be a bug. Shouldn't the merchants have seen the goblins in their midst before they came on your map?

So, do you consider this a bug, or just another facet of the harsh life in a DF world?

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A human caravan from Haldur has arrAN AMBUSH! CURSE THEM!x2
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 11:17:43 pm »

I'm just going to assume that they didn't see each other until they hit the edge.

So are they killing each other right now or anything?
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 11:52:14 pm »

Eh. They didn't have to be together off the edge. The goblins could have been laying in wait, and sprung up when they arrived and, ya know, ambushed em.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 11:54:36 pm »

Ambush goblins work alot like thieves, imagine a small invisible siege just slowly walking up to kill your shit, they don't wait.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 12:01:54 am »

I'm just going to assume that they didn't see each other until they hit the edge.

So are they killing each other right now or anything?

I got 4 ambush groups in total, only one of which was directly on top of/mixed with the caravan. The caravan got wiped, and then the goblins proceeded towards my dodge-trapped bridge over a 20z waterfall. I seriously have to go down there some day to collect all the goblinite that is piling up.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 01:20:48 am »

It's not a bug.  It is punishment for you not having control of your surroundings.

If you never send out any patrols or have any watchmen, then duh, of course goblins are going to be able to skulk around in wait and jump out as soon as a tasty caravan comes along.

That doesn't make it a bug.  That just makes it a stupidly difficult game, which we should all be used to by now.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 02:07:31 am »

Well at least its humans dying not your dorfs, that's always good right?

Rallan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 04:22:39 am »

Well at least its humans dying not your dorfs, that's always good right?

And if they get upset about it, soon you'll be able to mine humanite, a much less smelly ore than goblinite.