Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: newbie question about buildings  (Read 636 times)

redcap

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
newbie question about buildings
« on: April 22, 2012, 12:56:04 pm »

Hi,

I'm still new to the game, so this is probably a stupid question.  My game is about five years in and several of the earliest things I have built with the "b" command (a bridge, farm plot, carpenters shop) have randomly disappeared from my fortress.  Do they wear out or is this a known bug?  Does a better architect make them last longer?

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: newbie question about buildings
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 01:08:02 pm »

Buildings don't just "wear out." There are three possibilities that I can think of: The first is that you accidentally hid them (d - b - H will allow you to mass un-hide stuff, or you could just query the items with 'q' and hit 'h'.)

The second possibility, and the most likely (since I'm pretty sure you can't hide farm plots) is that a tantruming dwarf destroyed them. If you've had any building destroyer creatures in those areas of the fort lately they may be responsible as well.

The third possibility is that you accidentally marked them for removal/destruction and didn't notice until afterward.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 01:13:12 pm »

You missed a totally obvious fourth option: magma. Never forget the red stuff.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 01:15:23 pm »

or an attack from building destroyers
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.