Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ATAoS Game: DF-related forum game experiment  (Read 1179 times)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
ATAoS Game: DF-related forum game experiment
« on: September 03, 2012, 09:47:06 pm »

ATAoS
ASCII to Art or Story

I recently had a compelling idea for a forum game that should fit Bay12 quite nicely, and result in some wacky hijinx (patent pending) that are uniquely Dwarf Fortress. It goes like this.

The Seed
A "seed" image is created with the incredibly handy AsciiDraw to depict a (preferably complex) scene that would be found in DF. Of course, this requires ASCII skillz.

Player A
Once that's done, the players sign up. Let's say the lucky first-in-line is Player A. Here's what he does.
1. Player A observes the seed image, and then either draws a non-ASCII picture (or more than one, which is somewhat likely) or creates some lovely writing describing what is happening in the picture. The picture can be a comic strip or whatever format you like, but try to keep it fairly simple.
2. Their drawing or writing must have a somewhat significant event happen to it when compared to the seed image. Perhaps a character is absent, leaving behind only a sock and a blood splatter. Perhaps an adventurer has arrived on the scene. Perhaps someone has discovered a new room. Perhaps someone is biting off someone else's nose. Imagine it as a pass-it-on forum game story thing.
3. The finished piece is not posted to this thread. It is privately messaged to Player B with no accompanying descriptions of any sort or suggestions on what to do next, and is not posted in the thread. Let's see what Player B does.

Player B
1. Player B receives Player A's work. Their task is to represent it into ASCII again, comparing it to the seed and summing up what happened. ASCII drawings may be accompanied by short character descriptions or names or legends of who's who, but don't go overboard - this is just so that a more complicated storyline can be built up.
2. Player B also makes an event, and messages it to Player C, with the same clause about not including anything other than the work. Basically, we're creating a series of events and only waiting until it's complete to reveal it. Remember, none of this is being publicly posted! Each player only sees what comes directly before their turn and what they make. No one person will know exactly what's happened.

Player C
Player C does the same thing as Player A, except they use B's image instead of the seed. This repeats for a pre-defined number of turns, or until everyone who's showed up dies. Then everyone posts what has been received or made by them in the public thread and we piece it all together. Hopefully, this should result in some awesome stuff. Who's game?

Note about AsciiDraw
It has some powerful features, so press F1 for help and try stuff out before doing your good copy. And we aren't going to worry about variegated floor tiles (,`.'): periods are fine.

The Seed

From now on, this is entirely up to you guys. The limit's sixteen turns.

Good luck!

Turns
1. Empty... FOR NOW.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 06:55:39 am by GoombaGeek »
My wooden badge was delicious.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: ATAoS Game: DF-related forum game experiment
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 09:51:27 pm »

I'm posting so I can follow this, this sounds like this will be absolutly EPIC by it's finality.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 10:38:00 pm »

Or possibly failtastic. Would join, but terrible with ASCIIdraw and not the best writer.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 03:13:03 am »

Just a note, but you should probably move this to the Forum Games and Roleplaying Board, as it is technically a forum game.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 06:32:35 am »

All right. I was hoping it would count, but it is definitely a forum game.

So I thought of one issue: the thread readers hear nothing until the end. The solution is to drop incredibly vague spoilers in public. Hopefully it works.
My wooden badge was delicious.