Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water pressure bug?  (Read 615 times)

Fnear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water pressure bug?
« on: April 21, 2012, 02:46:12 pm »

I know I know.  Most people that claim a bug in water pressure just don't understand it.

Here's the situation.  I have a U-bend from a high aquifer up a column into my fort.  It provides pressurized water in the column basically by pushing up from below.  Aquifer is on level Z, fort column is filled to Z-1.  Fort column goes up to Z+10 or so.  Rough side-view, X is the path of the water.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Inside the column in my fort, I have little nubs that I can tap into at an angle.  X is an up-down staircase, . is a dug out nub, W is natural stone.
When I tap the column, the column drains to the level of the tap and does not refill.  Essentially the pressure inside the fort leg of the U has been re-pressurized on both sides of the diagonal.  The aquifer end of the U is completely full to a much higher level.  Here's a sample.  Tapped from Z by channeling down, creating a diagonal drain at Z-1.

My expectation is that the water that flows out of the pressurized column (through the diagonal) will lose pressure, but the column itself will remain pressurized.  That doesn't seem to be happening.  What appears to happen is that pressure comes purely from above, so when the column is tapped, it drains out.  But the pressurized column on the other end of the U-bend no longer refills it.

Two possible causes I can think of.
1) The tap reduces the pressure of the column and the calculation around whether to teleport water to the other side of the U-bend gets confused and decides it should not.  I tested this by plugging the diagonal gap with a floodgate.  No diagonal drains in the fort should allow it to re-pressurize.  This did not have any effect.
2) The U-bend only teleports water, so the 1/7 water left over prevents teleportation until it dries.  This also appears to be untrue.  When the central stair was completely dry (with 7/7 water below it) the U-bend pressure should have teleported water to the stair tile.  But it appears to be permanently depressurized.

To work around, I should be able to build a pressure column with no tap points that spills over into the column I tap, keeping pressure in the tap column coming only from above, with no reliance on U-bend physics.

Has anyone else seen this?  Is this expected behavior?

- Fnear
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 02:47:56 pm by Fnear »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Water pressure bug?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 02:52:16 pm »

I havn't seen it or heard of it, thanks for the science.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.