Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dev's - Congratulations!  (Read 940 times)

Luke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gibbonofdoom.com/
Dev's - Congratulations!
« on: October 09, 2007, 01:53:00 pm »

Hello everyone!

I'm a newcomer to Dwarf Fortress, and I have to say: this game is amazing!!

Having recently found Dwarf Fortress on the UK's PC-Gamer magazine accomanying DvD, I jumped right in at the thought of creating a Dwarven city within a mountain.  I've only been playing a few days, and it feels like, hell I know that I'm only barely scratching the surface of the depth and detail of this game.

I'd love to see this game ramped up to the graphical capabilities of say, the Unreal3 Engine, (although realistically you'd have to have some super-computer to handle it all)

After a few attempts at building Fortresses, everything finally dawned on me; planning and temporary workshops are vital!  I'm sure that I'll end up abandoning my current city when I realise that there's some crazy thing I really, really need hehe.

Dwarf Fortress is crazy addictive as well.  I love the fact that you're not defeated by baddies willy-nilly; the reason to create a new Fortress is because you've screwed it up somewhere, the game is brilliantly balanced.  It kind of reminds me of zAngBand (a NetHack remake); all the mistakes you make are your own, you can always do better next time no matter what the game throws at you, and lack of preperation and risk taking is always where you falter and subsequently die.

But all in all, it seems I could be playing this game for a long, long time.

Goodbye social life, I've got Dwarves to feed.

Kylaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dev's - Congratulations!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 02:25:00 pm »

Welcome aboard! You're a lucky one, coming in "somewhat close" to the release of the next version. Some of us have been waiting since January - I'm sure it'll be much easier for you.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 03:18:00 pm »

I'm glad you are enjoying the game.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 03:43:00 pm »

Welcome to the Greatest game in the multiverse! whit great margin!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...