Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sprint ability  (Read 4248 times)

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
Re: Sprint ability
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2007, 10:46:00 pm »

Yeah I think this is a good idea, it should be made generic for every creature in the game including dwarves.  Everything has a speed value, there should also be a max speed that is faster and a time til winded... up to the AI to choose which one to use, when over the max speed the creature gets winded after the timeout.

I think this is going to end up in non-dwarves favor most of the time, though I could see the dwarves being able to run run longer without getting winded.  I know if I were chasing a deer around with an axe it would look about like DF does now, with the deer getting further away.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 10:22:10 am »

Apparently, nobody has talked about this in years...

I disagree with the idea of an activated ability/cooldown timer.
We've already got finely graduated tiredness/windedness stats that are affected by creature attributes.

It should be noted that humans are endurance monsters; you've got no chance of keeping up with a horse at first, but if you have a 40km chase or it involves hills (particularly downhill), you'll get 'em (or get away).
Rabbits on the opposite end of the spectrum are speedy little varmints, but can't run more than about two laps of my backyard (perhaps cross an embark tile) before they putter out, flop over and wait to be eaten by a puppy smaller than they are.

Also, currently running away cures tiredness instead of causing more!  (Tired of kicking and punching that unconscious elephant?  Run around for a bit and you'll be ready for another bout!)

Suggestion:
Using the combat preferences, or something similar: an option for choosing walk/run/sprint as the desired movement speed.
 - Walk would be defined as the combat-move speed that allows normal attacks, parrying, etc
 - Run would be the speed at which you do not gain or recover from tiredness/windedness.  Given lung damage or very poor endurance, this may be indistinguishable from Walk.
 - Sprint would be the maximum speed you can move, falling back to Run when tired/winded becomes critical.

Sprint (and run, depending on the situation)  would limit your combat choices to a charge attack (with bonus due to speed) against things in the direction you were last moving.  Tumbles and skids as in the new dev log would be likely.
And, ambush predators would naturally use that whenever they can.

I'm not familiar with the raws, but there would need to be a definition for a sliding scale of speed vs efficiency, presumably on muscle tissue.
Modelling real-life Type I, II, IIB muscle tissues could work, if you are allowed to mix them in a creature.

PS:
Pain should also be added to the list of tiredness/windedness for the run speed limit.
Creatures with arrows sticking out of them and leg wounds should not be going full speed indefinitely, or at least without exacerbating the wounds.

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 11:10:58 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've thought about this as well. Though I think you are mostly adressing adventure mode in your post, it would have some nice implications for fortress mode. If anyone has played the Total War series... fatigue is very important there, as it is in reality as well. It would contribute towards making combat in dwarf fortress more meaningful, though I think that you should have at least four modes of speed.
For instance: Walking (low speed, fatigue regeneration), marching (moderate speed, no effect on fatigue), running (high speed, moderate fatigue) and sprinting (maximum speed, high fatigue). Or the game could just allow the player to type in an arbitrary speed<=maximum speed.

Another aspect of this would be how units state of mind affect their fatigue. A dwarf running for his life or a dwarf in a martial trance should probably have some sort of temporary buffer against fatigue, which would disappear afterwards and allow the fatigue to catch up.

Rtyh-C

• Bay Watcher
  • Slaughtering elves in low Earth orbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 12:20:06 pm »

Hi!<P>I may have missed something, but I never had the feeling dwarf fortress was about heroism.

One of the great things about DF is that there are so many ways to view it, and so many reasons to like it. This never happened to me with any other game (or, come to think about it, anything I can remember).

Back on topic, I think that the speed setting should be automatic, so you don't have to continually open a couple menus just to walk a little faster. IMO it should toggle to a faster setting when you are moving a lot, and there are some enemies around.

Of course, this should also be controllable manually. What about an option in the combat preferences to toggle auto-change on and off, and another to change the speed?

Also, instead of two/three/four modes of speed, what about something more gradual, like the volume select thing? Color-coded (e.g. green=fatigue regeneration, yellow=neutral, orange=kinda tiring, red=really tiring).

Besides, people get tired even if they're just walking slowly, if they just walk and walk. I think that's covered by the [drowsy] tag, though.

And this

Quote from: Escapism
A dwarf running for his life or a dwarf in a martial trance should probably have some sort of temporary buffer against fatigue, which would disappear afterwards and allow the fatigue to catch up.
By that logic, you shouldn't be able to play dwarves because they don't show thinking ability.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 12:25:36 pm »

Variable sprinting and leaping abilities would be great on many creatures- giant jumping spiders, cougars, cheetahs, ostriches, giant grasshoppers, narwhals...
Pages: 1 [2]