Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New game mode: "text-only adventurer"  (Read 1279 times)

kurto321

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
New game mode: "text-only adventurer"
« on: April 25, 2012, 03:19:02 am »

text only adventurer would be like adventurer but would be less graphical and be more simple (it could be an option for slower computers, too). there would be SOME graphics (maps ect.) but would mainly be text based. choices would be made by using the arrow keys to highlight a choice and then pressing enter. in combat, there would be a half-screen graphic part (which would show the battlefield) with the lower half displaying combat choices. an example of gameplay: "you're in the quiet town of Kalthrop. You have finally decided to begin your life as an adventurer. You suddenly realise that you have no detailed plans on what you want to do right now." then there could be options for moving around the town, or looking for shops ect. talking to people would be like it is in adventurer mode. it would be like an interactive fiction game, but in rpg form. i can't think of much else at the moment, but people can feel free to say what they think of the idea, or add their own ideas to it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New game mode: "text-only adventurer"
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 03:24:00 am »

There is a certain point where I just have to say perhaps you should just play a different game.

Text based adventure games are a very fun genre but what would you honestly expect from this? Dwarf Fortress would make a TERRIBLE text based adventure game because Text Based adventure games need to be focused.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 03:58:49 am »

Writing a new text-parsing engine for everything one can do and interact with in DF would be a far more time consuming task than multithreading.

kurto321

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 04:44:25 am »

haha, it's good to see people post their opinions, i just hope nobody gets all angry and stuff :P

Watsst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 05:42:56 am »

I do love a good text based game, leaving the whole imagination part up to you, but I really couldnt see it working. I get the idea of tinkering with the game so it explains whats there (as it already sort of does that), but as compared to other text-based games, there is a large large large amount of expansive plains and stuff which you'd just have to 'skip' between as there is really nothing there, and the amount of content there at the moment does not translate to making a good text based game (unique fights, convo's, flavor text), which would require a large amount of text writting and revamping everything. Though I do think a DWARF FORTRESS (MUD) would be awesome especially if Toady did the work, he really is great at coming up with unique ideas/interactions as compared to other games.

Just play Achaea if you have a love for text based game, pretty expansive.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 05:47:04 am by Watsst »

JackOSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 08:55:43 pm »

we carefully considered your suggestion and found that
the default ASCII graphics are already text only  ::) (with some special characters.)

now go enjoy them before we sick the &'s on you  :P

Tylermon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 10:25:20 pm »

we carefully considered your suggestion and found that
the default ASCII graphics are already text only  ::) (with some special characters.)

now go enjoy them before we sick the &'s on you  :P

This made my day, thanks. Haha :D

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 07:49:54 am »

just how slow is your computer?
adventure mode need a lot less power than fort mode.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

kurto321

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 02:39:45 am »

y'know what? i think what i'm interpreting as slowness on my computer's part is actually slight lag that is to be expected from the game :/ or something like that

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 02:45:41 am »

If DF is making your computer lag — and it probably will — it generally has almost nothing to do with graphics.

Of course, your initial suggestion involves not only graphics being different, but basically the entirety of the gameplay. How exactly is the game supposed to deal with a decision as abstract as "find a weapon shop"? How will he find it? What might he run into along the way? What kind of path will he take?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 05:42:50 am »

"...Your adventure begins here!"

You are in a small patch of forested area.
You see more forest in all directions.

Obvious Exits:
North, North-East, East, South-East, South, South-West, West, North-West, Up, Down.

>North

>North

>North
There is a Rock here.

>Pick up Rock

With what would you like to pick the Rock up with?

>Pick up rock with mouth

You bend over and pick up the Rock with your mouth

>N

There is a Kobold here, snarling at you.

>Throw rock

You can't throw a Rock as it is not in your hands.

The Kobold screams when it sees you.

>Spit rock

Spit rock at what?

The Kobold charges.
The Kobold's Copper Spear pierces you in the Throat through the Cave-Spider Silk Scarf, tearing apart the skin and bruising the muscle. An artery has been cut open in the attack.
You feel faint.
You give into pain.
You bleed to death.

YOU ARE DECEASED.